Anyone tried the MB Karashi?

Eyeballing these, there are a lot of small shad in the local lakes and the bass get picky about what they'll hit, they get a lot of stuff thrown at them and sometimes you try something that they've never seen and they'll be all over it. I think these look interesting. I'll probably have to throw them on a spinning outfit.

Megabass Karashi Twitch Bait - Tackle Warehouse

2. Member
    I have spent the last two fishing seasons using the Karashi for our small summer shad in the flowages around my lake cabin in NW Wisconsin and they absolutely destroy the smallmouth bass when these fish follow the shad into shallow water flats less than 5ft deep and are fixated on the shad and are unwilling to bite larger lures. Typically, I start with the Karashi for the more active fish and then transition to a 1/8oz Okashira Screwhead with a 3" Neon Pepper Spark Shad or 3" Moroko Hazedong Shad or a 3" Zoom Tiny Fluke in Albino or Baitfish with a 1/16oz Zappu Bredy Weedless Underspin #2 Hook with the Willow blade once the more active bass transition into neutral or inactive states.

I prefer to use casting gear and have several high-end JDM rods for this approach that are capable of presenting these light "finesse" topwater and shallow presentations, but any ML spinning rod can present and work the Karashi effectively. The Karashi can be walked easily under the surface of the water and the Shirauo and Wagin Hasu colors have worked the best for me so far but I'm sure other colors will work as well given the low availability of this specific lure right now.

Casting and working the lure for me has been best with light braid (8# Power Pro) with a light FC leader to help ensure the line does not wrap around the front treble hook as I am fishing in shallow water conditions, but since the lure is slow sinking it will depend on if you want the lure to stay higher in the water column or slow sink to a specific depth and then start working the lure. If the latter situation applies, I'd imagine either using the YGK G-Soul SS 112 sinking braid/super ester line or FC to help promote the lure's ability to sink would be better than using the floating braid or nylon monofilament.

Good luck with using this lure for emulating small shad in your fishery and please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Thanks for the detailed answer! ^^

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer! ^^
    You are most welcome sir! Best of luck with the Karashi as it is much more fun to fish than the other two finesse techniques for when the fish get fixated on small shad.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"