Thread: Toyota 4Runner

Toyota 4Runner

Does anyone tow a full size bass boat with a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner? I’m curious about braking and fuel economy.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

2. Member
    Bass Cat Panterra Classic - tandem axle trailer.

2016 4runner. handles it great, but acceleration WITHOUT the boat is slow. hahaha

~13-14mpg while towing 70mph flat-ish.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Does anyone tow a full size bass boat with a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner? I’m curious about braking and fuel economy.

Yes, Ive towed my 520 with the wifes 4runner many times. No problems at all. I live on the coast and see guys towing 23-24' center consoles with tacomas. As far as braking, I wouldnt tow a 2o' bass boat if the trailer brakes wernt working. Regular braking, no problem but if you have to stand on them......not sure the outcome.

Thanks guys, I’m in a position of buying the wife a new vehicle, but being selfish I wanted that vehicle to be able to tow a Z520R. You know, in case my F250 diesel was sick. I still am doing research on vehicles for her, but the 4Runner is in the race for sure.

No worries great value and work horse

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Is the part time four wheel drive necessary for boat ramps?

7. Member
    We have pulled all sorts of boats with the Mrs full time 4WD Runners, a 2004 V8, 2010 V6, and current 2016 GX460. The V8’s are sooooo much smoother than a v6 it’s not even a comparison. The used GX 460 is a bargain when they come off lease. Any of them will suffice for a back up puller. Expect 17 MPG overall and 12 pulling your boat. The GX calls for premium fuel.

Sirius Rich you’ll want some sort of 4WD system for pulling a 20’er out of a slick ramp. They make a part time and the limited and GX come with full time 4WD. The Runners have a 5,000 pound limit while the Lexus GX 460 has 6500 pound limit. Both are based off the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 which you’ll find pulling duty worldwide.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    We have pulled all sorts of boats with the Mrs full time 4WD Runners, a 2004 V8, 2010 V6, and current 2016 GX460. The V8’s are sooooo much smoother than a v6 it’s not even a comparison. The used GX 460 is a bargain when they come off lease. Any of them will suffice for a back up puller. Expect 17 MPG overall and 12 pulling your boat. The GX calls for premium fuel.

Sirius Rich you’ll want some sort of 4WD system for pulling a 20’er out of a slick ramp. They make a part time and the limited and GX come with full time 4WD. The Runners have a 5,000 pound limit while the Lexus GX 460 has 6500 pound limit. Both are based off the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 which you’ll find pulling duty worldwide.
    My wife drives a Lexus and the premium fuel ( turbo engine ) is required not recommended which is the only thing I don't like about it.

I use a Tacoma to tow my boat listed below and it works well. Of course I live in a relatively flat area and have no illusions that it or a 4 Runner would be ideal for long steep grades.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Is the part time four wheel drive necessary for boat ramps?
    I use it not matter what. Turn off the main road and flip the switch. Leaving get to the main road flip the switch.

The 4WD system they use is the best I have come across. You won't notice it other than the 4wd light is on. No change in mpg either. I wouldn't buy one without it.
    Better to already be engaged before you get on the ramp then decide you need it.

The limited is full time 4wd. Its nice but i'd rather have part time. No need to have the extra wear on the front system if you don't need it.

The 4runner has everything you really need. Other manufactures may have more but are not as reliable or hold their value as well or as capable. Body on full frame.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Well, the 4Runner is now last on my wife’s list. She said it was too “bumpy”. I’m taking her to a Lexus dealer tomorrow and hope to get her to want the GX. Wish me luck.

11. Member
    I think she will like the GX. Mention "Luxury" car while she is looking.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Well, the 4Runner is now last on my wife’s list. She said it was too “bumpy”. I’m taking her to a Lexus dealer tomorrow and hope to get her to want the GX. Wish me luck.
    Yeah it has a firmer ride its not terrible but its not going to be squashy like most of todays want to be's. And don't forget the Lexus emblem. Its an real off road capable machine tamed for the street not the other way. When you go around a corner it won't feel like its going to roll over it handle pretty well. But I understand. My wife loves it and when they are back in stock we will be a two runner house numbers 3 and 4 last of a breed.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I think she will like the GX. Mention "Luxury" car while she is looking.
    My wife LOVES her 2016! We drove brand new Limited before going to the Lexus dealership. Tho they share many underpinnings the GX drives a lot smoother than the Runner. You can still tell it's truck roots on broken pavement. The RX and Highlanders are HUGE sellers because of their car roots.

A link to the heritage of the full time 4WD 4 Runner and GX.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado

14. Member
    the GX is great if you can stand the fuel economy in combination with premium fuel. I could not go this far even though I have 2 lexus vehicles in the drive. The 4 runner is great for off road but is not a highway vehcile boat or no boat IMO. So I ended up with a Highlander Platinum awd. 26-27 on the highway with no boat. about 18 when towing a 3600# rig on side roads.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. Member
    4 Runners are great vehicles, but they do ride just like the Tacoma's in my opinion. I understand they are very similar in many regards as far as chassis, motor and suspension. I pulled my Triton TR-20X and the 24 ft. Starcraft back and forth to the lake house a bunch during the years we had these vehicles. Most all of my towing was 10-to-25-mile trips, so I do not have but a couple longer towing experiences with the 4 Runner. I'm back in a diesel and the wife in a Pilot now. Never had an issue with Toyota's during our ownership period.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319