Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Real world experience with cheaper lithium batteries?

Does anyone have any real world experience using the cheaper lithium batteries to run 24 or 36v trolling motors?

The bigger names - Dakota, Ionic, Battleborn, etc - seem to come with the bigger prices. Amazon has a bunch of cheaper options with high ratings, so wondering if anyone has successfully gone that route.

I have these installed for only about a month but looks good so far. Shipping was 3 days and free, build quality is excellent and customer service is great. Only time will tell about durability.
    I researched for quite a while with the intent of building my own because I cannot afford the commercially available ones. I had decided on cell design, management system and battery box when I found these with all the preferred components for about $50 more than I could have built them and they come with a 5 year warranty.
    They do not have Bluetooth but the $10 monitors give me all the information I need. The BMS does have high temp cutoff but not low temp. However my battery charger has low temp cutoff and I live in a mild climate. If I lived in the North, I may have made a different decision.
    I replaced 4 year old flooded cell batteries and took over 100 lbs out of my bilge. Price was about the same as 2 AGM batteries.
    It took me a long time and a lot of research to determine if 2 50AH batteries would be sufficient but it has proven to work well. That being said, what works for my boat and fishing style but may not work for everyone.
    I could not afford 100AH Lithium even with these discount batteries.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have these installed for only about a month but looks good so far. Shipping was 3 days and free, build quality is excellent and customer service is great. Only time will tell about durability.
    I researched for quite a while with the intent of building my own because I cannot afford the commercially available ones. I had decided on cell design, management system and battery box when I found these with all the preferred components for about $50 more than I could have built them and they come with a 5 year warranty.
    They do not have Bluetooth but the $10 monitors give me all the information I need. The BMS does have high temp cutoff but not low temp. However my battery charger has low temp cutoff and I live in a mild climate. If I lived in the North, I may have made a different decision.
    I replaced 4 year old flooded cell batteries and took over 100 lbs out of my bilge. Price was about the same as 2 AGM batteries.
    It took me a long time and a lot of research to determine if 2 50AH batteries would be sufficient but it has proven to work well. That being said, what works for my boat and fishing style but may not work for everyone.
    I could not afford 100AH Lithium even with these discount batteries.

Nice set up!!!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

4. Member
    What are you running for a cranking battery?
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

Have to agree with you Bill. These so called brand names have gotten out of hand being comparably priced. ALL of the lithiums come from China and I agree some are better than others but how doe one know which one. A higher price means it's a better battery? I don't think so. It would probably amaze and surprise us to find out which of the cheap batteries have been rebranded at a higher price. I have also researched the batteries and price is the only thing that slowed my purchasing any of them. If you notice on the reviews, all are great. Seems no one posts the bad reviews or trouble they may have had with them. I hope those batteries do well for you ( and they probably will) but please keep us posted on how they do.
    Cheers

6. Member
    Two less expensive 50 AH batteries. Took over 100 pounds off. Have had zero issues. Bought a Lithium rated charger too. Less than $700.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Tech View Post
    Does anyone have any real world experience using the cheaper lithium batteries to run 24 or 36v trolling motors?

The bigger names - Dakota, Ionic, Battleborn, etc - seem to come with the bigger prices. Amazon has a bunch of cheaper options with high ratings, so wondering if anyone has successfully gone that route.
    https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Lithi...s%2C138&sr=8-5

3 50 amp hr fine for 36 volt or
    2 100 amp hr for 24 volt
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    3 Zooms 100 ah cost about $1100 last year in Nov. Been running fine since then. No BT but who cares? Never had BT with AGMs for SOC. I just put voltage up on my HDS screen so I have some idea of SOC. I still run AGM for a starter and for electronics.

NoCAL

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Lithi...s%2C138&sr=8-5

3 50 amp hr fine for 36 volt or
    2 100 amp hr for 24 volt
    100ah Weize house battery.....running 3 Carbon 9's. 1 HDS10 2, AT, Rite-Hite, 3D SS, pumps, lights, radio, phone chargers, etc. It's been flawless to date, but, only a couple of months usage.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    3 Zooms 100 ah cost about $1100 last year in Nov. Been running fine since then. No BT but who cares? Never had BT with AGMs for SOC. I just put voltage up on my HDS screen so I have some idea of SOC. I still run AGM for a starter and for electronics.

NoCAL

NoCAL
    The difference with the Bluetooth is it tells you how much charge is left. Voltage tells you nothing, for the lithium batteries have constant voltage until they quit. Not saying BT is a necessity, but nice to know if you are getting near the end of their charge.

11. Member
    Been using these from a previous post: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....8#post12576998 since spring. I have zero complaints, fished several really long days and a couple of tournaments, no problems what so ever. Something I learned along the way was that lithium "base charge" that comes to you on the order, likely is not 100%. Apparently they need at least one other full charging cycle to get to 100%. Found that out the hard way. These Ecoworthy 50 AH are only 12 lbs each. Compared to any other lead or AGM I saved a huge amount of weight. I had dual X2 AGM prior which weigh 76lbs each!!! So, so far, so good!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman942 View Post
    What are you running for a cranking battery?
    I am running a group 27 AGM for the cranking battery. I have a Mercury 4 stroke and do not know if Lithium is an approved cranking battery.
    I also have an Amped Outdoors 30 AH in my front locker. This powers my LiveScope and 10 inch Garmin on the bow. The 9 inch Garmin on the console is powered by the cranking battery.
    With regard to Bluetooth reported state of charge: this feature is built into the BMS and reads the battery voltage as a measure of remaining battery capacity. This feature adds about $50 to the cost of the BMS while the $10 units shown in my pic give the same information, sans Bluetooth.
    This is the discharge curve for a LiFePo4 chemistry battery:

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    I am running a group 27 AGM for the cranking battery. I have a Mercury 4 stroke and do not know if Lithium is an approved cranking battery.
    I also have an Amped Outdoors 30 AH in my front locker. This powers my LiveScope and 10 inch Garmin on the bow. The 9 inch Garmin on the console is powered by the cranking battery.
    With regard to Bluetooth reported state of charge: this feature is built into the BMS and reads the battery voltage as a measure of remaining battery capacity. This feature adds about $50 to the cost of the BMS while the $10 units shown in my pic give the same information, sans Bluetooth.

Thank you for that Brother Bill! That'll really help me to monitor my discharge status via the Amazon voltage monitor (same one you're using). Btw, it cost $100 to upgrade my lithium with BT, which I declined to do.

When I added up the total potential amp draw of the major components of my electrical system the 100ah, in theory, should be plenty of power for my mission. So far it's proven to be 100% reliable.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 09-06-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL

NoCAL
    if you are putting voltage on your hds screen that is only reading voltage from your agm and has nothing to do with your SOC on your lithium trolling motor.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

15. Member
    Would avoid using some of the cheap batteries.
    The BMS won't support amp draw from most major trolling motors. Expect to see random power cycles on the trolling motor at higher thrust settings.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    if you are putting voltage on your hds screen that is only reading voltage from your agm and has nothing to do with your SOC on your lithium trolling motor.
    I have both voltage and battery overlaid on my screen. One is cranking battery and comes through the power cord from the cranking battery. One is trolling batteries through the Ghost over NMEA network.

NoCAL
    2B112175

17. Banned

I dont think that chart is correct. I have a 60aH 12.8v and it shows constant 12.8v throughout usage. Lithium doesn't drop voltage like a wet cell or AGM. Hopefully one of the BBC sponsors will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    I dont think that chart is correct. I have a 60aH 12.8v and it shows constant 12.8v throughout usage. Lithium doesn't drop voltage like a wet cell or AGM. Hopefully one of the BBC sponsors will chime in.
    Battle Born sent me the SOC chart for their batteries.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    I use a chart like this to guesstimate my SOC ^^
    2B112175

20. Member
    Just a note on voltages: read at the battery terminal. If you use the voltage at your graph you will be reducing the voltage because of voltage drop and whatever error your unit has in the reading. All setups will have a voltage drop. As you can see just .2 or so will make a for a large error. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast