Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    100ah Weize house battery.....running 3 Carbon 9's. 1 HDS10 2, AT, Rite-Hite, 3D SS, pumps, lights, radio, phone chargers, etc. It's been flawless to date, but, only a couple of months usage.
    Running the same battery for electronics. Three 12 inch units, one 9 inch, M360, MLive. No issues, but only a couple of month in also. Of the batteries on Amazon this one had the low temp cutoff in the BMS, although I live far enough south where it is likely not going to be an issue. Running all this for 12 hours straight I was down to about 20 percent (12.8 volts at the battery).

2. Member
    Note-Lifepo4 SOC voltage charts are based on resting voltage (0 amp draw) measured at the battery terminals.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Good point. The longer they rest the more accurate they will be. Thats the big reason for using a gauge that counts amps in and out. It is the only accurate way to monitor while in use. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    After reading this thread and a few others I’ve got a few questions.
    I have a 50ah Pro Guide battery running a Carbon 12, Active Target and a Helix 10. I’m charging it with a Noco 5 amp charger. I’m estimating from specs I see that I’m using about 6.5 ah per hour. The battery is mounted up front using 8 ga wire running to a buss block feeding each unit from there. I’ve had this setup a few weeks and seems all works fine. My fishing day is usually 6 to 8 hours.
    My question is I’m not seeing the starting voltages as high on the battery as shown on the chart by Mr Reynolds. It show at the start of the day at 12.7 and by the end of the day it down to 12.4/.3. This reading is from the Carbon 12 unit. Now I have also checked it at the battery with a digital meter and it checked the same. I’ve never seen it above 12.7 until today? I just took it off the charger and it showed 13.54. I’m wondering if it will bleed down any like a lead acid would do? I’ll check that in the morning and see.
    Another concern is I figure I’m running it down pretty far each trip and I read somewhere these batteries are not recommended to cycle that deep? Will that hurt the battery life?
    Thanks
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

5. Member
    I googled pro guide and see AGM and Lithium batteries. Which to you have. I am guessing lithium as the 6.5 amp draw would be used up in less than 8 hours. With the readings from the graphs I am guessing you may have a poor connection somewhere. Take your readings at the battery before you turn the units on and see what voltage you have. If more than .2 volts difference with the graphs on, you will need to check all the connections in between.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-07-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Mark,
    did you fully charge the battery before putting it into service? All LiFePo4 batteries are shipped at 60% or less charge and you have to fully charge them before putting into service. It took an overnight charge to bring my 50AH’s up to charge.
    With regard to your question about running at low charge levels: The battery management system will disconnect the battery if it drops to a harmful level. I think about 10.5 volts but don’t have a strong memory of the actual value.
    As stated in the earlier posts, the voltage values are taken at the battery with it at rest (no load).

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Bill - approximately how many hours does it take to recharge your lithium trolling motor batteries with the Gen5x3... after an "average" day of use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have these installed for only about a month but looks good so far. Shipping was 3 days and free, build quality is excellent and customer service is great. Only time will tell about durability.
    I researched for quite a while with the intent of building my own because I cannot afford the commercially available ones. I had decided on cell design, management system and battery box when I found these with all the preferred components for about $50 more than I could have built them and they come with a 5 year warranty.
    They do not have Bluetooth but the $10 monitors give me all the information I need. The BMS does have high temp cutoff but not low temp. However my battery charger has low temp cutoff and I live in a mild climate. If I lived in the North, I may have made a different decision.
    I replaced 4 year old flooded cell batteries and took over 100 lbs out of my bilge. Price was about the same as 2 AGM batteries.
    It took me a long time and a lot of research to determine if 2 50AH batteries would be sufficient but it has proven to work well. That being said, what works for my boat and fishing style but may not work for everyone.
    I could not afford 100AH Lithium even with these discount batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Bill - approximately how many hours does it take to recharge your lithium trolling motor batteries with the Gen5x3... after an "average" day of use?
    I don’t have a number, I always hook them up when I return and never check it until the next day. However, I have the perfect opportunity for a test coming up, I have a tournament Saturday where I will be fishing river current.
    I will wait until Sunday Morning to start charging and check it every hour.
    Should have some empirical data for you on Monday.

9. Member
    while the $10 units shown in my pic give the same information, sans Bluetooth.

Are these accurate without a shunt?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Are these accurate without a shunt?
    They just measure voltage and have an internal program that reads out % charge based on a stored data table. There is a setup routine where you identify the battery chemistry and number of cells. There are several readout options, the one I use is the first button press shows voltage, second shows SOC % and the third turns it off.
    It probably follows the same data table in this thread.
    I am sure the Bluetooth device is more sophisticated since it is built into the BMS but I have no experience with it so may be missing a valuable feature.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Good point. The longer they rest the more accurate they will be. Thats the big reason for using a gauge that counts amps in and out. It is the only accurate way to monitor while in use. Bob
    Question about a gauge that counts amps in and amps out to determine amps available. How does it make an adjustment for the natural loss of amps over time? If it does.

They just measure voltage and have an internal program that reads out % charge based on a stored data table. There is a setup routine where you identify the battery chemistry and number of cells. There are several readout options, the one I use is the first button press shows voltage, second shows SOC % and the third turns it off.
    It probably follows the same data table in this thread.
    I am sure the Bluetooth device is more sophisticated since it is built into the BMS but I have no experience with it so may be missing a valuable feature.
    I have three LiFePO4 batteries that came with those meters built in. I also purchased one to check two other LiFePO4 batteries in series.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I spent 6 hours on the trolling motor yesterday against current of 17,000 cubic feet per second. We fished for 6.5 hours and except for a short run down river, we spent the entire time at 70 to 100% on TM speed dial or spot lock. I checked the 50 AH lithiums when I got home and they were at 40% SOC.
    This is not my normal fishing style, But it was a good test for the 50AH batteries. They held up well and there is no doubt they would go 10-12 hours of my normal fishing. However, I had the thought that if I did run the batteries down to the point where the BMS shut them down I could be in trouble in that high current.
    If I were to fish this way frequently and for longer periods, I think I would want 100AH batteries.
    For the local guys; this was the White River at Preston Ferry.

14. Member
    First to address a question by Mr Reynolds about having a full charge on my battery the first time. Well not so sure I did. Again I’ve got a 50 size battery using a 5/1 Noco charger that does show it has the battery at full charge, the green light is on so I assume the charger has cut itself off? I now have a battery monitor on it that shows 13.2 and 70%?
    Im not sure I have the monitor programmed right so to anyone that has one maybe you can tell me if I have the right info in the monitor.
    There were no instructions that came with it so I got what info I could watching YouTube but that was somewhat difficult as the ones I found were by foreign speaking guys and a little hard the understand to this southern talking man!
    Here’s what I have: The monitor is a Supnova, it has 7 settings.

#1. Sets battery type and I think number of cells. I have that on “F” and 4 (cells)?
    #2 Sets seconds till the display shuts off. Set at 30 seconds
    #3. I may be wrong but I think this sets a high and low voltage goal? Set at 12 and 13.5
    #4. Sets alarm for low voltage? Set at 12v
    #5. Sets a calibration ? Set at 12v
    #6 No idea? Can set on or off. I set at on.
    #7. High voltage alarm? Set at 14v. Also shows battery full

Any guidance appreciated!
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I monitored the charge process yesterday after drawing the batteries down to 40% SOC and it took 6 hours, 5 hours at constant current and 1 hour at constant voltage.
    This trip was about twice my battery usage so for my normal trips, I think 3 to 4 hours would bring it back to full charge.

16. Member
    I don’t have a number, I always hook them up when I return and never check it until the next day. However, I have the perfect opportunity for a test coming up, I have a tournament Saturday where I will be fishing river current.
    I will wait until Sunday Morning to start charging and check it every hour.
    Should have some empirical data for you on Monday.
    where you get those little LCD displays?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Question about a gauge that counts amps in and amps out to determine amps available. How does it make an adjustment for the natural loss of amps over time? If it does.
    Sorry for the delay in answering.(did not see it)
    There is a slow and natural loss of capacity after usage. Periodically you reset by setting the counter at 100% after a full charge is done. It will start again at a point(full charge) equally 100% of full capacity. You can then change the capacity down to a lower number(99 or 98) and continue that as time goes by. I would not bother doing that until I actually noticed reduced runtime.
    The difference in usage is not much when you look at the usage tables(full charge cycles). Unless you are a fanatic on exact state of discharge it is hardly worth your time. You would have to totally drain the battery till the BMS shuts things down, recharge and input the actual capacity you have ascertained using the difference between the 100% you set and the point the BMS shut it down. Spec’s will tell at what point that is. Using 2,000 cycles as a discussion point for the life of the battery, they use a number between 70 and 80% remaining determines when it is depleted. So You will have lost between 20 and 30% of the original capacity. Spread that over 10 years and it is a very gradual thing. I doubt you will notice a change for a few years. A miriad of things will modify that loss one way or the other(including SOC,Temperatures,etc,etc.)

18. Member

You can find them on Amazon
    Last edited by htbboats; 09-12-2022 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by htbboats View Post

You can find them on Amazon
    Yes Amazon. This pic is a little confusing, I thought it was a qty of 2 but received only 1. I had to order an additional one for my 24 volt setup.
    It may be the way I set it up but my % SOC shows about double what the battery chart shows. I don’t pay that much attention, I just look at the voltage and compare it to the battery chart to get SOC.

htbboats,
    i haven’t been ignoring your post, I have been monitoring my charge process and experimenting with my setup. Your situation has me stumped but I offer the following comments in an effort to get to a solution:
    1) in one of your posts, you mentioned that you had 13.5 volts after charging. If your battery has the same specs as mine, that is a 100% charge.
    2) I have an Amped Outdoors 30 AH and a 3 amp charger powering my LiveScope module and 106 Ultra. I checked voltage at the battery just after a charge and got 13.1. I got the same value on the Ultra screen but within a few minutes, it dropped to 12.8. I had not paid it a lot of attention, but thinking back, this is the value I always start the day with on this battery. I plan to fish in the morning and will note the voltage at the end of the trip. This 30 AH battery has different style cell packs than the 50 AH and the 12.8 value relates to a different discharge profile. I would be concerned if I saw this on my 50 AH batteries.
    3) After fully charging my 2 50AH batteries with the NOCO Genius, I measured 14.2 on the monitor. I dropped the TM and ran it for just a few minutes, (less than 5) and the voltage dropped to 13.9. It seems there is a “surface voltage” that gets knocked off pretty quick.
    4) Since you do not have a manual for your battery, I scanned pertinent pages from mine. You can download these and print it.
    Hope some of this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 09-12-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast