Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Last edited by Jaredn; 09-23-2022 at 09:15 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    oh, now I understand why you said yours is like bbs or slick mist; we were talking two different products
    the hydro slick gel does NOT say anything about gel coat on the bottle. It only says “painted surfaces”. I looked yesterday and got the hydro speed spray liquid instead and it’s looks pretty good for a 6yo boat

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    the hydro slick gel does NOT say anything about gel coat on the bottle. It only says “painted surfaces”. I looked yesterday and got the hydro speed spray liquid instead and it’s looks pretty good for a 6yo boat

You can use it on gelcoat. It's on their website. It says use it in a test area first. I assume thats because gelcoats get oxidized, and the product may not work or look bad.

I tried a test area in my splash well along with 3 other brands. I also did test areas on my fenders. I have to say, Im baffled at the results. I used Chemical guys Hydro slick, BBS, Lucas, and Protec. Its been almost a month of sun, rain, road dust, chalky substance from my cover, lake water, water line scum. One of these products looked so bad, I tossed the bottle in the trash (didnt shine like the others), 2 weeks later it looks really good. I retrieved the bottle. Another product that looked awesome, now its filthy and I cant wipe it off with water alone. In fact, it looks worse than the day I applied it on a section of fender that hadnt seen any wax since spring of last season. 2 products so far are remaining consistent. Im not going to bash which ones, but I will post which one(s) worked out best for me. My boat if different from yours along with weather, and water. Whats working or not working for me may not be same for the rest of you guys.

After reading a lot of the posts, seems like everyone is getting good results from ceramics. Same here. These seem to be the next level. Or are they??? All the products people have mentioned work but some just seem to do better at things than others.

A week into it one thing I have noticed about the Ceramic Quick Detailer is how even dust does not stick to it. We live in a semi rural area so I usually keep garage door open as it's the door we use leaving out of and coming inmost of the time as well. It can be a little dusty out here at times. The dust does not seem stick to the boat now at all.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 09-24-2022 at 11:45 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A week into it one thing I have noticed about the Ceramic Quick Detailer is how even dust does not stick to it. We live in a semi rural area sonI usually jeep garage door open as it's the door we use leaving out of and coming in as well. It can be a little dusty out here at times. The dust does not stick to the boat now at all.
    How does the gelcoat fell before and after? With the Hydro slick, it went from I thought was really smooth the super smooth. Like you have a melting ice cube between your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    How does the gelcoat fell before and after? With the Hydro slick, it went from I thought was really smooth the super smooth. Like you have a melting ice cube between your fingers.

It's extremely smooth.

7. Member
    I would agree that the ceramic products are a lot “slicker” than wax.

8. Member
    Tried the Chemical guys hydro speed detailer today for the first time and it seems good. The shine might be a little better than the TW 3-1 ceramic detailer but its close. We'll see how it holds up.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Fished a local lake today that has a lot of mineral content and usually spits up my boat quite a bit. My boat is white, silver and a dark gunmetal grey/black. The water beaded up and off super easy. No water spotting at all. It was about dry by thetimeI finished strapping it down for drive home. So far I am really liking it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Fished a local lake today that has a lot of mineral content and usually spits up my boat quite a bit. My boat is white, silver and a dark gunmetal grey/black. The water beaded up and off super easy. No water spotting at all. It was about dry by thetimeI finished strapping it down for drive home. So far I am really liking it.
    Have you used it on any plastics, rubber, or dash etc?

Have you used it on any plastics, rubber, or dash etc?
    I used it on rubrail and no slip pads on bow etc. I really don't have any plastic on my boat. It's all glass with metal trim. I sprayed everything down with it except seats and electonics.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Handwich View Post
    Bass Boat Saver has been around a long time and it has always worked good for me. Is there anything out there nowadays that works better?
    Back to the original question. Ive been testing out a lot of products. I bought some, have stuff for the cars and others for the boat. Its been like some sort of mad science experiment. My boat and the trailer fenders are like zebra striped. Its amazing how some of these products work so good and a few weeks later in the weather along with a few dunks in the lake, they look like crap.

Spray cleaner waxes: We all know about BBS, slick mist, BTS, the sauce's, Pro-tec, and a few others. They are spray on cleaner waxes. They all work and work well. But, I have to say BBS and BTS seem to be the best overall. BBS cleans really well. Lucas shines a bit better but I had chaulky film a few weeks later.

Ceramic detailers: Awesome shine but havnt had enough time with them. A lot of guys on here are getting good results.

Ceramics: It dont get any better than these. If your willing to do the prep and do it correctly, you boat will look brand new and a wet cloth will clean it. Nothing sticks, always shines. Reapply 1-3yrs depending on which brand you use. They all work. My splash well hasn't shined like this since the day it left Flippin AR in 2004.

With all that said, this is what I found that works on my boat, your mileage may vary. I dont have hard water where I live so I cant comment of water spots like the guys in TX. BBS works for me. I plan on ceramic coating the ole tub this winter and use BBS everywhere else. If I dont ceramic, Ill just stick with BBS

13. Member
    Back to the original question. Ive been testing out a lot of products. I bought some, have stuff for the cars and others for the boat. Its been like some sort of mad science experiment. My boat and the trailer fenders are like zebra striped. Its amazing how some of these products work so good and a few weeks later in the weather along with a few dunks in the lake, they look like crap.

Spray cleaner waxes: We all know about BBS, slick mist, BTS, the sauce's, Pro-tec, and a few others. They are spray on cleaner waxes. They all work and work well. But, I have to say BBS and BTS seem to be the best overall. BBS cleans really well. Lucas shines a bit better but I had chaulky film a few weeks later.

Ceramic detailers: Awesome shine but havnt had enough time with them. A lot of guys on here are getting good results.

Ceramics: It dont get any better than these. If your willing to do the prep and do it correctly, you boat will look brand new and a wet cloth will clean it. Nothing sticks, always shines. Reapply 1-3yrs depending on which brand you use. They all work. My splash well hasn't shined like this since the day it left Flippin AR in 2004.

With all that said, this is what I found that works on my boat, your mileage may vary. I dont have hard water where I live so I cant comment of water spots like the guys in TX. BBS works for me. I plan on ceramic coating the ole tub this winter and use BBS everywhere else. If I dont ceramic, Ill just stick with BBS
    I would have to agree with what you're saying. I did get to try the product you suggested over the weekend and it worked really well. Just to clarify this is the product I purchased and it does have a gel like consistency:

ChemGuys.jpg

It applies very easy and the key is to let it sit for a bit, up to two minutes and then wipe it to a shine. It deepened the shine on my boat a bit more the BBS does. So my plan is to use this product once or twice per year and then BBS for wipedowns at the ramp and such. Both great products if used in the right context. Thanks for the suggestion Sushi!

Still pretty impressed with the Chemical Guys Hyper Speed Ceramic Quick Detailer. Shine is holding up great, still beads water easily and the way that nothing sticks to it, not even dust is insane.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=Sam Handwich;12695141]I would have to agree with what you're saying. I did get to try the product you suggested over the weekend and it worked really well. Just to clarify this is the product I purchased and it does have a gel like consistency:

ChemGuys.jpg

Yea, thats the stuff I used. My test area in the splash well looks good. A quick wipe with a wet cloth seems to do the trick.
    I compounded, polished, and applied the hydo slick to my motor cover. Now my motor reminds me of a brand new bowling ball.

I sprayed BBS and Lucas on an area where I used the hydro slick, Im not sure if it even did anything, it may have all wiped off when I wiped the surface down with the microfiber. May have to use a ceramic detailer as Mark Perry is using on top of the hydro-slick or just wipe with a wet microfiber. I think this will be the case with any surface thats been ceramic coated reguardless of which brand is used. If anything, I will still use BBS everywhere else.

16. Member
    Used the ProTec products the last couple of years will pretty good success, but wanted to try something new from the ceramic family of products and leaning towards CG line up. Question: which of their products is best for a 7 yr old boat with paint in excellent condition? I notice there are specific products for "boats" aside from the ceramic line up. Any difference and any recommendations?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLSkeeter View Post
    Used the ProTec products the last couple of years will pretty good success, but wanted to try something new from the ceramic family of products and leaning towards CG line up. Question: which of their products is best for a 7 yr old boat with paint in excellent condition? I notice there are specific products for "boats" aside from the ceramic line up. Any difference and any recommendations?
    Ceramics.

18. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Fishing is a Passion
    Looks like some very positive results for Turtle Wax
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

20. Member
    Got a quote today to ceramic coat my boat. Came in at $1000. Is this what you guys are doing first and then using the spray on or is the spray on what you are using?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast