Thread: Hard start

Hard start

<1B936285> 2013 150 Pro XS. It is hard to start sounds like low fuel pressure. Once starting runs perfect. Was in shop and all pressures were good. Has new tracker diaphragm, fuel line, plugs, gas and new 1000cca battery. Any possible ideas. Thanks. Serial number in a few
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-03-2022 at 11:22 AM.
    2013 Nitro Z-7 Mercury 150 Pro XS, Fishing on a Budget.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Load tested that "new 1000cca battery"? And are you certain it's CCA (and not MCA or CA)?

What exactly does it sound like or do? "Sounds like low fuel pressure" isn't something we can easily identify.

Thank you in advance for getting your serial number included.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Ser #1B936285 I just looked it is 1000MCA. I guess that could be the issue. I seems to me that it is starving for fuel at start up but once the altenator kicks up the charge it runs fine. I am trying to post a short video from my I- phone but it is kicking my butt. It idles fine and runs perfect and smooth from idle to full throtle. All thIs crap started when I tried to start the boat on a incline and it was low on fuel. Since then it has been acting up. Changed fuel filter and check fuel from the filter. There was no water or trash in the fuel i pulled out filter.

Thought I got the one listed on the battery sticky but I guess it was the wrong one from autozone.
    \

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are tons of batteries in the Sticky, not all of them are suitable CRANKING batteries.

For videos- put it on a hosting site (like youtube) and provide a link to it here.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiLNU...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

here is a link to instagram video

6. Member
    I was outside just looking things over due to me issue. I pushed the air side schrader valve and got fuel coming out under pressure. I then pushed the fuel side and also got fuel. I assume that this is not correct. I guess the regulator diaphgram is bad. I just dont under stand why it runs so good once running and warmed up.

7. Member
    not correct is right , small amount of fuel leaking into rail
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    It was all the Pressure regulator diaphgram. Small pin hole right on the edge of the metal. I guess it would let fuel into the air side when starting, but it would seal itself once engine ran and pressures would build inside the rails which caused it to run fine once running. Damm that little peice of rubber is expensive, Damn Mercury.

9. Member
    will not seal it was passing it so to speak lil richer when you shut it down it flooded air system ,,,,, i know youd think the bigger the rubber the more it would cost i sure dont know
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just be glad you can BUY the rubber... there was a day in time that it was not sold as a replacement part.