water in storage

I have a '94 176dc, I constantly have water in my rod boxes and center storage and recently had to throw away 3/4 of my lures due to rust. I am assuming that the lids are so close and tight to each other because of the carpet, that the water is not allowed to escape and is soaking the carpet and getting in that way. The rubber seals on top don't seem to have enough downward pressure from the lids to make a good seal.

I am considering replacing the carpet and going with something similar to sea deck and not wrapping the sides of the lids so that water has more area to runoff. Anyone found a good solution for this? Tired of ruining lures and tools as well as the moldy smell or buildup on life jackets and such.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The boxes should have a raised lip on them with a rubber seal. The only time I ever had an issue like that is if I left it parked against the curb in the rain where the dome of the street would cause water to pool on the curb side deck.

3. Member
    Yes it does have a raised lip and seal but water is still getting inside of all of them. Guess I will maybe try replacing the seal with another type.

4. Member
    Could be leaking around the latches as well. I would look to get the boat under cover (or a cover or tarp) if at all possible. Would also help if you could store the boat with the lids at least partially open.

5. Member
    I would suggest storing with the bow slightly elevated above the transom.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    I dont have any latches on these lids. They are the pull tab on the sides type. I do elevate it as high as I can. It is usually covered but when taking it out sometimes get caught with cover off. Getting a carport installed to help. It wont fit in the garage.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Be sure and pull bilge plug every trip when you get home. Check livewell fittings for leaks. Carpet in bottom of compartments gets soaked if boat is stored with water in bilge. Then it seeps into compartments since carpet is pretty much thru the bottom of the boat. This is also why storing bow-high was suggested. Big discussion about this a few years back!!!!

8. Member
    Thanks, good advise

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo30 View Post
    I have a '94 176dc, I constantly have water in my rod boxes and center storage and recently had to throw away 3/4 of my lures due to rust. I am assuming that the lids are so close and tight to each other because of the carpet, that the water is not allowed to escape and is soaking the carpet and getting in that way. The rubber seals on top don't seem to have enough downward pressure from the lids to make a good seal.

I am considering replacing the carpet and going with something similar to sea deck and not wrapping the sides of the lids so that water has more area to runoff. Anyone found a good solution for this? Tired of ruining lures and tools as well as the moldy smell or buildup on life jackets and such.
    It sounds to me that you do not have your boat parked with the bow 'up' so there is some slope that ensure water is draining out the rear plug.... Also, you may be storing the boat with the plug in. ALWAYS store the boat with plug out.

What sounds to be happening is that your boat is flooding up in rain and the water levels comes up high enough to come into your rock lockers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I would suggest storing with the bow slightly elevated above the transom.

If water is in there when it's not raining or full of overflow water from coming to a quick stop on the water, I would check the hoses and connections in the sump at the pumps and going to you livewell(s). Also raising the bow when stored should take it all to the sump.
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC
    2011 Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS
    Ultrex 36v 112# - 2 10" Helix - 1 10" Garmin for Livescope Plus

12. Member
    It is elevated at the bow and the drain plug is always open. It isn't getting water in on the lake or due to the plug. It has drain holes at certain areas on the deck but the carpet is so tight when you close the doors that it doesn't give the water much of a chance to use the drain holes. I wasn't sure if the carpet wasn't soaking up the water and it starts dripping in or what. The worst is the center storage compartment. If it gets caught uncovered in a hard rain it wll fill up that box a few inches deep. I think that I may just put some drain holes in the boxes themselves so the water has someplace to go.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    There should be drain holes in the corners of the compartments that empty into the bilge. Make sure those are not obstructed or plugged with any foreign material.

14. Member
    I think you are right on the 2 side lockers now that I think about it. The center storage is the one that I have seen water standing in and I removed the carpet and it is sealed on all sides.

15. Member
    I was getting water in my rod locker because of the drain on my troll koto foot pedal tray. I made a drain to go into the main drain.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite