2019 Skeeter Trailer Possible Issue

So when I got home today from using the boat, backed into garage and when I went to put down the wheel lift I noticed the handle was coated in fluid. My first thought was how did the hydraulic fluid leak out and get onto the handle. But i put it down and saw it was holding pressure so figured I would continue on. I got to the hitch lock and noticed that had fluid on it (jack is on drivers side, lock is passenger side). At that point I started to look under my truck to see if something blew out. Didn't see anything so raised the tongue off the ball and noticed that the trailer tongue, the brake slot was only about half way forward, looked a little dirty like maybe it was sticking. When I looked back a couple moments later though it had released forward. So after putting the boat away I swung open the tongue, took a look around and under and really didn't see anything obvious. I did notice for sure though that there is fluid spots all down both sides of my trailer to about the I series light plate (about 8 feet back). My assumption if anything is it must be in the brake master or whatever its called up front (I know not much about trailer brakes). But what I don't see anywhere is the fluid release point, if that much came out I feel like I should see it someplace. I will clean it and check it out tomorrow, but if anyone has ideas or experience I am open to ideas.

Trailer is a 2019, tandem axle, disc brakes, vault hubs I believe they are called. Its fairly new to me but has been trouble free, and didn't notice anything odd pulling it home today.

2. Member
    Have you popped the cap off the master cylinder to see the fluid level? You might also reach up and feel around in the hollow tongue where the brake components are housed to see if the leak is in there. It's always something my friend.

3. Member
    When that happened to me, it ended up being a drive shaft seal where it connects to the rear end of my truck.

4. Member
    First thing I did was check under my truck. Clean and dry. I am going to check fluid here shortly after work. I have to open the tongue to fit it in my garage and it looked dry in there too. I’ll post back in a while. Thanks guys.

5. Member
    Well no idea. No sign of leaks, master is full and I took it for a tow and no issues. Must have splashed up something in the road maybe. I’ll just keep an eye on it.

Are you talking about the jack that lift the trailer off the ball ?? I'm not familiar with that being a "Hydraulic" Jack. Is this something new on the Skeeter trailers ? Check to see if that fluid is "Oily" or just water that has gotten in the jack from loading and unloading at the ramp.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Are you talking about the jack that lift the trailer off the ball ?? I'm not familiar with that being a "Hydraulic" Jack. Is this something new on the Skeeter trailers ? Check to see if that fluid is "Oily" or just water that has gotten in the jack from loading and unloading at the ramp.
    Yes the crank handle/wheeled jack to take it off the ball and move it around. I know there is a grease zert on top but I always thought they were hydraulic internally. Well now I feel extra dumb lol. Anyhow yes that handle was coated. But no signs of leaks anywhere. It absolutely was oily, I thought brake fluid by the color and feel of it.

If your Master Cylinder is full it's probably not brake fluid. Was it a really hot day enough to cause the grease in the jack to liquefy ? Can you post a pic ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    It was hot but not that hot. I cleaned off most of it already but I can post some pics tomorrow after work.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If your master cylinder is full, your truck is probably leaking something that is blowing back on the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Truck is dry as a bone. I threw it on a hoist at work next morning and looked it over. I have used the boat twice now since then and not a sign of anything. At this point all I can think is I drove thru or splashed up something, although there isn't any on my truck fenders either. I really don't know, but I cleaned my trailer that night so I wouldn't hurt the finish and its still clean. l appreciate all the thoughts and replies, if something ever comes of it I will certainly post it.

12. Member
    Found the issue and it’s my transmission. Rear seal is leaking and allowing fluid into my transfer case. As the transmission is higher that allows the fluid to run into transfer case which then it comes out the vent. The way mine is vented the truck stayed dry, but I think sitting on the incline of the boat ramp it allowed it to fill and burp out a big glob when I got underway. It missed the truck but hit the road and trailer.

So seal ordered and ill pull the transfer case later this week. Trailer is fine. Just wanted to update. Thank all for the suggestions. Took me a minute to figure this one out.

13. Member
    Always good to find your gremlins. Good luck.