2009 Ranger 188vx and ranger trailer

I have a question about my trailer. The trailer has surge brakes which I believe is working ok, however it seems to me that its more noisy than it should be. Every bump in the road I hear a banging noise that doesn't sound normal. Is it the surge brake plunger is that the right term? I see on one side of the tongue (?) I see a couple nuts and the other side is something that looks like grease fittings. I never thought about these or thought are these something that should be greased and what is their function. Sorry for the poor description. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    There’s nothing in/on the tongue that should be rattling when you go over a bump. There is a small shock absorber inside the tongue that can cause a bumping sound when it wears out but usually when you are slowing down or speeding up. I would check around the winch stand,fenders and hubs to see if anything is loose.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    There’s nothing in/on the tongue that should be rattling when you go over a bump. There is a small shock absorber inside the tongue that can cause a bumping sound when it wears out but usually when you are slowing down or speeding up. I would check around the winch stand,fenders and hubs to see if anything is loose.
    Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know about the nuts and grease fittings I tried to describe? Are there grease fitting?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leobass View Post
    Thanks for the response. Do you happen to know about the nuts and grease fittings I tried to describe? Are there grease fitting?
    I have the same boat/trailer and mine clunks too but I think is coming from back by the axle on mine

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    As Rip Bass noted, there is a shock absorber inside the tongue assembly that, when it wears out, makes a clunking noise. Again, as he says, this clunking is most noticeable when slowing down or speeding up, but going over a bump in the road could—if it’s worn enough—cause the tongue to slide forward and back enough to bring on that clunk. I’ve seen descriptions here in the past—like a year or two ago—of how to replace that mechanism, but it didn’t sound super easy. One of those jobs that goes much easier the second time around…after you’ve learned all the pitfalls and tricks.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Did you check the brake fluid level? take the plastic cap off and unscrew the big plastic nut under the cap. yes the 2 grease fittings allow the brake actuator to slide in and out smoothly. but like mr Clark said if the shock spring on the tounge/actuator is worn, it will need to be replaced. check the fluid first.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good point, Chris. I had forgotten, but the actuator definitely can move too freely if low on fluid. Fluid level can drop without leaking, as the wearing of brakes allows more space for the fluid to occupy.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    I have a 188vs and have found two items that separately caused noise like you describe. First were slightly loose fenders due to the fact that they are riveted and not bolted. Installed bolts with fender washers and solved that problem. Second and more annoying is actually the brake calipers chattering on their mounting bolts/slide pins. The bushings wear out and they develop enough play to chatter when going slowly. You can grab them and give them a jiggle to see what I mean.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150