Adding Deck Lights...

So my courtesty light upgrade search is not going well, now looking at just replacing them with different LED lights and adding a full kit ie adding deck lights also? Any suggestions for a kit to use? I've watched a few vids of guys using rock light kits which seem to work pretty well.

For those who've added deck lights, did you wire them into the existing courtesy light switch, or add a second switch just for the deck lights? I'm trying to determine if I would ever need one on but not the other, ie can I wire them all on same switch or should I seperate them. Or wire deck/rod box all on same switch but use pressure switches to activate rod box light when opening lid - that seem like the best plan but not sure how complicated it would be.

Lastly, for early morning launches, to not ruin night vision and not attract bugs/moths/etc is blue or red preferred?

2. Member
    I added 6 Rigid LED's to my deck, 4 up front and 2 in the back. Wired to a dimmer/on-off switch. Initially just wired to a single switch but they're super bright and the dimmer was added later. Very front and back are red and the center ones are white. Only issue I ran into was placement of the ones on the back deck because the compartment lids open against the gunnel so I moved them back to just behind where the lids open. Looks great and they work really well. I'll go take some pics in a little bit and post them.

Thanks yes I would like to see your pics - Rigid is one I am looking although they are pretty spendy - seems to be plently of Rigid copies out there too. Dimmer I had not thought about, but makes sense. I'll have to check my rear lids also, but since you mentioned it I do think they get pretty close to the gunwale on mine also.

Can you chose to only light up red or white lights, or is it an all or none deal? I like the idea of dual colors, red or blue for typical use but white is there if you need it for something.

4. Member
    They’re all on the same switch, so all or none. Could easily wire in another switch for one color and then wire them all to the dimmer though. 280E0416-951D-48D2-98FB-4815BABDCB94.jpeg5676C520-4C49-4E4F-AF1F-3244F073A060.jpeg272DEBBF-511A-4950-8F87-C7F87C900A78.jpeg

5. Member
    Definitely add the dimmer! You’ll more than likely keep them dimmed all the way down all the time till you get to the point where you never turn them on.

6. Member
    I added mine from Precision Sonar. Much easier install and works great. Red color. They came with dimmer switch. You might take a look at them.
    Last edited by Skeeter Man; 09-02-2022 at 09:12 AM.

7. Member
    I installed a Bluewater kit on my previous boat. Separate dimmer switch is a must as well RED or Green to preserve night vision. The purpose of these lights is to keep you from falling out of the boat while night fishing, NOT BLING! You want to dim these lights as low as you can stand it.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/bluewaterled

As a 45 year professional aviator I can tell you red or green are the best for preserving night vision. Blue or purple may look cool but are terrible for this use. White for the inside compartments.

I use a 3 way light on my cap to release fish, change baits, check your reel, etc. Turn it off once done to preserve vision and not attract bugs.

Lastly, in many states it is illegal to use these lights “while at headway speed”, only the standard red/green bow and white stern navigation lights. Check your local regulations.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 09-02-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

8. Member
    Those look excellent. If I ever night fished I’d copy that setup or close to it. I don’t but wanted to say it looks nice.

I will check out the PS lights, I need to call Rob anyway with question about one of my mounts...

I have looked at the Bluewater, they do look nice, but seem to get spotty reviews. I guess all these are going to come from China so QC is going to be spotty with all of them.

Red we used in Military for night use, so that makes sense. As mentioned, I have Blue LED's in my truck and they aren't useful for anything other than looking blue lol. I'm leaning towards small round lamps vs strip lighting - since you have to drill a hole anyway for the wire, might as well use it for the light as well instead of relying on sticky backed strips is my thought process. Similar to the Rigid setup, but I am looking at lower cost alternatives, ie the rock light type setups I mentioned ealier.

10. Member
    78 Staff, I would think you could have the lights and not drill holes. If you use 3m tape to adhere the lights why could you not just have the wire coming straight up from the storage compartments. It’s probably a fine enough wire not to get pinched. Or maybe you put a very small hole or notch in the floor instead of the fiberglass. Granted once the light is mounted you might have like 1/2 inch of wire you can see running down but that’s fairly minor if you want no holes. Could always put a small piece of tape over wire that’s close to color of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    78 Staff, I would think you could have the lights and not drill holes. If you use 3m tape to adhere the lights why could you not just have the wire coming straight up from the storage compartments. It’s probably a fine enough wire not to get pinched. Or maybe you put a very small hole or notch in the floor instead of the fiberglass. Granted once the light is mounted you might have like 1/2 inch of wire you can see running down but that’s fairly minor if you want no holes. Could always put a small piece of tape over wire that’s close to color of boat.
    I'll take a look, just was trying to stay away from sticky tape tbh, as it alwasy seems to fail at some point, event the good 3m stuff.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I'll take a look, just was trying to stay away from sticky tape tbh, as it alwasy seems to fail at some point, event the good 3m stuff.
    Nope I agree, plus you are adding potential water and a lot of sun. Just thought I would toss it out there, as drilling, well its so much more permanent lol.