Silicone mold Fail

We tried my first time to make a silicone mold from a swimbait i had at home.
    Got the silicone mold making kit from amazon. Made a box for it all just like all of the vids i have watched.
    Poured it about noon yesterday give or take. Let it sit all last night and figured today i would take it apart and see how it worked.
    Took it apart this morning and it looked good....Other than where the baits were. it was still pretty liquid in that area and it looked like crap on the inside where the baits were.
    So back to the drawing board i guess.
    Not sure what i might have done wrong. I figured the time was enough.
    Have any of you used the Mold making stuff that they sell on the lure building sites? I have seen some of them but with some of the videos i have watched they jsut used normal stuff bought from amazon and Michaels.
    So not sure what happened.

First off you could have messed up and not mix the right amounts together. Or stirring it right as you really got to mix it together. The second try putting Vaseline on the lure your molding. So it creates a little lubricant on it. I had it happen to me I let it sit in the sun for days until it cured up. The baits might not look real smooth and pretty to you but the fish don’t care as long as it swims right and still has action in it.

I always buy from Alumilite for all my molding needed. Simply the best stuff to work with. You get what you pay for.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I always buy from Alumilite for all my molding needed. Simply the best stuff to work with. You get what you pay for.
    They have sales too!

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

I had that happen one time when I was making a mold from a plastisol swimbait. I had decided to try a new RTV supplier and got the same end result you did. After talking to the RTV supplier (sorry, don't recall what company but they were well known) it turned out that I had bought the wrong cure type RTV. I think what I got was platinum cure which doesn't cure up against plastisol. I can't even remember what the cure type I usually used with good results was, but alumalite from hobby has always worked perfectly for me.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Lot of different rtv out there. Different mix ratios and cure times, up to 72 hours. The easiest rtv I have used is from MicroMark.
    https://www.micromark.com/One-To-One-Rapid-Mold-Rubber

I demolded this morning at about 7am, Poured it at about noon yesterday.
    Went and checked it when i got home at 4pm today and still the stuff on the baits was still almost like a liquid so i either did something wrong or like someone else said wont mold next to plastisol material.
    Guess ill try something else next time.

Very general rule but....

Silocone mold, your master should be hard.

Resin or Plaster mold, master should be soft.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Very general rule but....

Silocone mold, your master should be hard.

Resin or Plaster mold, master should be soft.
    So Plaster of Paris would work better then for what i was doing.

10. Member
    I had trouble with silicone when I tried it so I went back to Bondo fiberglass resin for my open pour molds.