Thread: Fluoro vs mono

Fluoro vs mono

First off I will say I have been a fluoro user for about 10 years. But, I will say it is more fickle than mono and you do have the random break off from not checking line. With that being said, would anybody else go back to mono if you could get the line invisibility thing out of your head? I don’t want to lose even one fish from the possibility of the fish seeing my line. But, how does the fish not see the big black weedguard and .060” hook? How many of you guys have went back to mono without fish catches going down?

2. Member
    I just know that I have run out of leader material before while crappie fishing and have had to tie straight to the jigs with braid or Nanofil. I would keep right on catching at the same rate as before. Maybe bass are different, but I really think it's over blown. Otherwise, why would they ever bite an Alabama rig or even a spinner bait?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

3. Member
    Newer flouro can often be a problem. In making it softer to reduce memory, it’s lost its real attributes of abrasion resistantance and lower stretch which means better sensitivity. So I got tired of stretchy, weaker flouro and tried mono for reaction baits first. I could not stand the loss of sensitivity with mono so I looked for the right flouro. I use only 100% flouro that people would hate due to memory. I use it on casting and as leaders period. I use it for all reaction in higher pound test and love it. (Not surface lures). My answer is read tackle reviews. Buy the line with the most negative reviews about memory. That will give you a tough, low stretch, sensitive line for leaders or casting

4. Member
    My experience has been similiar to Eagle's in that the sensitivity is much greater with flouro vs mono. The invisibility is a not a factor imo.

5. Member
    Biggest factor for me to use fluorocarbon as a main line over mono is sink rate. Lures that need to get down faster do, and stay in the strike zone longer.

6. Member
    Any application under 10 lb test I use Trilene xl mono.Way stronger than floro .Get bit just fine.
    xl is extra limp

7. Member
    I have gone back to mono on most of my reaction moving baits and have not seen a loss in catch rate. I fish top water with braid to a short floro leader which helps keep the lure from fouling on the limp braid.

8. Member
    The use of fluoro is probably more related to how dense the line is not its visibility.
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    If fish hypothetically won't bite a lure because they can see your line, that same fish would never bite anything artificial, or anything with hooks.

10. Member
    I hate the mysterious breaks offs with fluoro probably from backlashes. I backlash at least once a trip which I think is normal. I'm not going to respool after a backlash so there you go. That all being said, I am hooked on fluoro for the reasons stated above and and just can't get myself to go to mono.

11. Member
    Fluro is more sensitive and I can set the hook from greater distances. IMO. I can cast farther than I can reliably set the hook using copolymer line. Then again, I can cast farther with the coploymer than I can with fluro. Fluro doesn't roll off the reel as easily for me. Maybe it's stiffer and has more drag? I don't know that I couldn't use the coploymer and change the line a whole lot more and be better off. It seems like it starts off good and gets stretchier...is that a word?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Biggest factor for me to use fluorocarbon as a main line over mono is sink rate. Lures that need to get down faster do, and stay in the strike zone longer.
    throw a piece of floro ina glass bowel it don’t sink that fast . I doubt it makes a lure sink any further than mono

13. Member
    It sinks much faster then mono. Real flourcarbon that is. It’s why you can’t fish most top water on flouro. A bait like a popper or spook will be pulled under before you can retrieve it half way back.

hard 100% flouro is stiff, small diameter and very abrasion resistant. New “softer more manageable” flouro is easy to use but loses these advantages. Flouro is great for less stretch, yes that’s correct. Better sensitivity. More abrasion resistant. Smaller diameter. Faster sink rate. Last a long time on the reel spools. Finally, somewhat less visible. It’s great finesse line in low pound test. It’s a great crank bait or deep jerk bait line. It’s awesome for hook setting power. The one negative is because it is hard and small and it will cut into itself. Look up the best flouro knots, not Palomar. Test every knot with a solid pull. Retie often like it was mono.

Invisibility factor of flouro is not even on my radar. I just think for me flouro far outperforms mono in most cases.

15. Member
    I use fluoro for its slack line sensitivity. I don’t believe bass are line shy fish so invisibility is not a factor for me. I use Daiwa Samurai which handles just as good as mono. I re tie often and I’ve never had a problem with break offs.

16. Member
    Look at the Yo-zuri Hybrid. I have had great success with it and its a little of both worlds.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

17. Member
    I only use flouro for leaders ! Mono or braid for main line .

18. Scraps
    Still use mono for cranks and spinnerbaits. As a compromise to fluoro I'll use a co-poly sometimes like Yo-Zuri Hybrid.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    I only use florocarbon for leaders !