1996 Yamaha 200 Pro V has skip

Motor cranks, idles and gets on plane fine. But once it reaches 3500 to 4000 rpm it has a miss/skip. The carburetors have been rebuilt. The reeds are good. I have changed the coils, spark plugs, fuel filter, primer ball, fuel lines. Skip/miss still there. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Ttt

3. Member
    Ttt

4. Member
    Maybe check your fuel line with some clear tubing to see is you have an issue at the tank (see video below). Bubbles in the fuel indicate you are sucking air somewhere. Could also use a mighty vac to check for leaks in the line. Or run on a portable tank to rule out the system before it enters the engine. I have had issues with anti siphon valves on tanks sticking. I would remove and just use a regular barbed fitting without the ball and spring. Those valves cause a lot of issues. Also had debris in the tank that I was only able to see after I added a clear in-line fuel filter just after the primer bulb. It made the engine skip at high speed (Pro V 150) once it built up enough. It was a pain in the butt to diagnose. Cleaned the carbs multiple times (full disssembly) before I figured it out. Clean that little filter of the debris (easy job) and it was back to normal.

This the kind of in-line filter I am talking about. Eastwood Clearview Inline Fuel Filter - w/ Hose Barb Fittings - 10 PSI Max - Eastwood

5. Member
    Born Again Boating has a lot of videos on YouTube. He may have others on fuel related issues. He works on a lot of Yamaha.

6. Member
    Might also be a bad plug wire. Check the wires per the service manual instructions. My guess is still a fuel issue.

7. Member
    Thanks Amistad for the advice. I decided to go ahead and get a 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 four stroke. Before removing the motor from the boat I ran the motor on a separate external fuel tank and changed the coils which contain the plug wires and still had the same issue. But I am putting the ProV on a stand and will continue to troubleshoot. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by 1Ranger487; 09-15-2022 at 11:49 AM.

8. Member
    Ttt

9. Member
    A slightly "newer" motor 99 200 PTLRX, but I actually had diagnosed the OEM plug caps as questionable. I replaced and had more consistent spark. Whether that would cause the miss at given RPM, not sure. If it is a "stumble" (as in slightly loses power, then ramps up again) at the RPM, I would be leaning toward fuel related issues. If truly a miss (as in hard pop type of feeling and sound), then pulser/rectifier and/or double check advance and crank position sensor. Last potential culprit could be ECM/CDI module.. Although, not nearly as likely (most say). Good luck man!

10. Member
    Thanks Smallie, I will have to install it on another boat and run it since I have removed it from my boat to install the new motor. I am probably going to change the ECM and try that. Because it is a true miss (hard pop type of feeling). Thanks again for the advice.

11. Member
    I have the same motor and been having some issues with mine an really just considered to buy a new motor if you don’t mind me asking what did you pay an also payments on the new 200. An what kind of boat do you have now

12. Member
    Ttt

13. Member
    Ttt