Trying to find the right Prop !! HELP !!

I bought this boat a few years ago and have been adding or changing a few goodies along the way. It's a 2002 Ranger 205vx with a 2002 Mercury 225 Optimax. It had a Trophy Plus 25* prop and it never has had a great hole shot and the top end wasn't great, but I was ok with it. The motor would kinda fall on its face when I would "Hit It" but would suddenly catch after a few seconds and then get on plane. No Jack Plate then, but now have a Bob's 8" Hydro. I've tried different settings and 3.5-3.75 seem to work the best. The top end would max out at 5200 and a GPS speed of 51-52 mph. So, I had it all checked out, added new plugs and still the same. I've just tried a Trophy 23* with and with out a cavitation ring. It had "Instant" response, but topped out at 49 mph @5300 !! Well, I found a Trophy Plus 24* now with a Cavitation ring and it gives me the response but still is only turning 5200-5300 and 51 mph. I've tried a Tempest Plus 25* and it's the same as the Trophy 25* was. Anybody got any ideas on what to do next ??
    Last edited by wmitch2; 08-25-2022 at 05:29 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Test a 20-22P Bravo1 FS or XS and adjust venting to 3800 rpms on holeshot. Raise the plate as high as you can keeping safe water pressure and bow lift.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Test a 20-22P Bravo1 FS or XS and adjust venting to 3800 rpms on holeshot. Raise the plate as high as you can keeping safe water pressure and bow lift.
    that seems pretty small to me. The 23* Trophy was just starting to blow out right before going on plane..
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Pitch has nothing to do with blowout. Carry-on

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    I think you need the motor checked out again. Something isn’t right. Even with poor setup shouldn’t he be seeing at least 10 more mph than he is? I would think even a 20.5’ ranger with a 225 should be a 65 mph boat without being optimized. When you say checked out what do you mean? You’ve got a fuel restriction, a bad coil, or are down a cylinder I would think. One plug not really wet? Compression good on all 6? Boat is 20 years old when were all fuel lines replaced and pulse pump rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I think you need the motor checked out again. Something isn’t right. Even with poor setup shouldn’t he be seeing at least 10 more mph than he is? I would think even a 20.5’ ranger with a 225 should be a 65 mph boat without being optimized. When you say checked out what do you mean? You’ve got a fuel restriction, a bad coil, or are down a cylinder I would think. One plug not really wet? Compression good on all 6? Boat is 20 years old when were all fuel lines replaced and pulse pump rebuilt?
    I'm thinking you may be right. I've got another shop in mind that I'm going to talk to and get his opinion too. I'm wondering if the rev-limiter is somehow set to low if it is even "Set-able" !! I've had the boat now for a few years and the only thing I've had done other than the plugs and impeller were a new oil sensor/tank and a Solenoid. It had a 25* Trophy Plus when I bought it. I'm not a speed freak, so I never really minded that it would only run in the low 50's as I mostly run in the mid 40's anymore. The hole shot was Ok, not great, but the throttle response was really slow to pick up. The 23* was "Right Now' but started to blow out at break over. The 24* has great response and planes right out with no blow out even at 3500' elev. I'll try another "Troubleshoot" and see where that leads me. Right now I'm dealing with a $18k motor home repair which thankfully Allstate is covering most of it.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I agree. 100%

8. Member
    A good Mercury mechanic should be able to have you turning that 25 trophy to 5600-5700 if the motor is running right which yours isn't.

9. Member
    what did u find out

Nothing yet, been busy with other things. I'm gonna try to make it to the other shop this week. I'll post any updates along the way.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms