Question ANYONE ever had this ALARM/CODE on new 4 stroke MERC 200-300 PRoXS?

"IGNITION COIL NOT WORKING PROPERLY- SERVICE ENGINE SOON"...(displayed on Merc Monitor).
    its a 5 beep soft alarm once activated...
    seems to not happen unless i have been above 4500 rpms for a 5 mile run or longer...short burst dont seem to cause it...
    i have 64 hours on engine and have never had ANY performance loss, Misses, stutters,...NOTHING...motor runs great with same power i had on my 2019 engine...

local dealer has done the following with NO changes and still getting alarm:
    • replaced 8 plugs(Merc Recommended)
    • replaced said coil with a brand new warranty replaced coil from merc

*now is checking ALL wiring under cowl ...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

update...may have it fixed...going to get boat and run...fingers crossed...
    COIL wire for #5 hole shows no signs of wear/damage, but not testing properly...
    replaced with a known good wire and no alarm for dealer after 20 min run sesh...

will update

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please do. If not- make sure the CORRECT coil was replaced (this is a bit tricky on these engines).

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Same thing was happening with mine. Started as coil fault 101-16, then moved to 103-16. I would get the alarm buzzer going off around 5k RPM's. This started at 15 hours and continued until around 75 hours. First trip in, dealer replaced coil harness. Next trip out got the 103-16 code twice and then it went away for a while. It would randomly go off and progressively got worse. It finally got to the point that anytime around 5k RPM's it would go off. After waiting on plug wires ( backordered ) my dealer replaced all the spark plug wires and for the last 2 weeks, no buzzers. I've run it hard several times on purpose to see if I could get a buzzer, and so far all is well. I never thought it would be something that simple and all of the previous plug wires appeared to be good.

just wanted to update....
    this apparantley has fixed my issue...
    now have had chance to run hard in a couple of tournaments and about 7 total days on water, with Zero Alarms...

happy customer again...

6. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Going to drag this one back up instead of starting a new post. I have a 2022 225L PXS TM Serial # 3B133679 mfg Oct 2021. Difference is I am pretty sure I am getting 6 beeps and not 5. Not having ANY issues other than the annoying alarm. Took back to my local Merc authorized shop today. Its been in twice already and when I went out this weekend alarm sounded again. He says that if didn't know better he would think it was a coil. But his testing has shown a problem with improper plug gaps and something to do with the plug wire itself. Said didn't fit right. Any thoughts or siggestions?
    Last edited by Bassin Billy; 02-20-2023 at 02:49 PM.

7. Member
    had the same....it was a plug wire

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fellas- just a courtesy reminder, we have a strict ONE ENGINE per thread policy. This helps to avoid confusion (best case) and what's known as thread hi-jacking (worst case). Thanks!

Billy: There two warnings: SOLID TONE, and six beeps, pause, six beeps. Horn sequence may only sound for 6 seconds and then cease (that does NOT mean all is well).

See if you can get them to do a FULL PRINTOUT on G3 next time you are in.

Ignition coil faults can be tricky because the coil position does not necessarily correlate the way you would think.

Also: If a plug wire does not snap fully onto the spark plug, the wire MUST be replaced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Fellas- just a courtesy reminder, we have a strict ONE ENGINE per thread policy. This helps to avoid confusion (best case) and what's known as thread hi-jacking (worst case). Thanks!

Billy: There two warnings: SOLID TONE, and six beeps, pause, six beeps. Horn sequence may only sound for 6 seconds and then cease (that does NOT mean all is well).

See if you can get them to do a FULL PRINTOUT on G3 next time you are in.

Ignition coil faults can be tricky because the coil position does not necessarily correlate the way you would think.

Also: If a plug wire does not snap fully onto the spark plug, the wire MUST be replaced.

Thanks Don - I missed the 1 engine per post. Was trying to not add another post for a similar alarm. I will def reach out and ask if he can do that.
    As far as the beeps go. 6 beeps...sometimes 1 set. Sometimes beeps and then minutes between or as in this past Sunday. 5 in a row on the way back in after motoring around all day with no beeps at all. Saturday just 1 single set of beeps mid day.

Thanks for all of your contributions and insight on BBC!!