Straight Braid applications

Fished with a buddy last week and he swears bye Straight braid in tannic and stained water .
    14 lb Fireline on the spinning setup to a #2 circle hook for Senko’s
    He catches a ton of fish that way…
    Also 30 lb straight braid on Jigs and T-rigs…
    Same catches a ton of fish that way.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on it ?
    If you do throw straight braid … what brand , color and size do you recommend in certain situations?

Love to get some input from different fishermen.
    Thanks and Tight Lines!
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    Just frogging in the clear water here. Even 50# PP will wear out fast on shard rock bottoms, and get stuck in laydowns a little more than mono/fluoro.

3. Member
    65 lb PP is pretty much only braid I use.Frogs,Buzzbaits,flipping .No need for leader.I do have a spinning rod with 20lb on it and under right conditions will have non boater fish jigs with it .

Straight braid is great under those conditions, as the fish he is catching attest to. I also use straight braid a lot when fishing off-colored water and weedy areas, with good success. In other conditions however, straight braid may not be the best option. Crankbaits, Top Waters like a Pop-R, Jerk Baits, Spinnerbait, or baits with small treble hooks, etc... straight mono is what works best for me. Also, in really clear water I like to attach a 15' Fluro Leader to the braid just because of the visibility of the lines, under those condition. I find it's best to use the line that's best for the lure and conditions at that time.

Straight braid for me:

Frogs
    Buzzbait
    Spinnerbait
    Topwater
    Wacky rigs
    Punching
    Flipping

Usually use bright yellow or green 30# and paint the first 3' from the bait black with a sharpie.

6. Member
    I only use braid for frogs

7. Member
    At night i use straight braid for tubes & jigs. I also use braid for frogs.

8. Member
    Straight braid for frogs, or throwing jigs, and plastics in dirty water. Regular Green Power Pro is all I use.

9. Member
    Punching and frogs is about it for me.Even if the water is stained or tannic I prefer fluorocarbon as braid tends to pick your jig up when trying to maintain contact with the bottom.

10. Member
    I used to hate throwing chatterbaits and had little success. My friend convinced me to go to straight 30lb braid even though I fish mostly clear water. Now, the chatterbait is probably my favorite bait. It allowed me to rip the bait free much more easily with just the reel and get those fish that hit on the rip. I have no idea if the brad deters some fish but I have caught so many good fish on this approach that I don't even bother with a short leader of any sort.

11. Member
    Targeting clear water smallmouth I'll use 10ft floro leaders otherwise braid all the way.

12. Member
    Frogs, buzzbait, flippin grass, swim jig in grass

13. Member
    We are probably only fooling skiddish fish . With our thinlines and flourcarbon. Your grandads or great grandads used braided dacron that eas huge. Even earlymono was hige and stiff. Because of imprefections in the lines. They caught fish.

14. Member
    Punching and frogs are it for me. I don't even like straight braid on topwaters, I feel like I backlash more and lose casting distance vs mono on a baitcaster.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package