Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

*Update* to Speed Goat Bowhunt.

As mentioned in my opening post a couple weeks before this hunt I tore right my shoulder again working on my side by side. I went to the surgeon and was told I have a massive tear across multiple muscle groups and not a candidate for surgery but need reverse replacement. I figured my Antelope Bow hunt was over. Waiting 2-weeks to heal a bit I knew I could shoot a few arrows. Having bow hunted my entire adult life I knew I could hit 40y or under so did not need to practice at that distance but I added a 50-yard pin and shot maybe 10-15 arrows. I shot that very well so was confident. Yeah, it was tough and sore but I knew I could shoot an arrow or 2.

Well I'm back home now after the antelope hunt and it was an awesome fun filled hunt, I saw tons of animals and had great encounters. I was actually drawing down on a good buck looking at him thru my site and the farmer came around on a 4-wheeler following an irrigation ditch full of water and blew him out. All I needed was a couple more seconds! He almost ran the buck over. I was furious but what can you say? It just sucked and I thought I blew my chance.

The idea was to hunt water but everything was very green and on my 1st day there were bad thunderstorms that somewhat blew the water hunting out of the water so I switched up to Alfalfa fields. After figuring out how they were entering the fields from the undulating prairie mountains I moved my blind to better intercept them. The 2nd day the antelope were entering the fields 300-yards away from me and going away. They ducked down a ravine and I thought that was over but the dang farmer again came on his 4-wheeler and went down that ravine blowing the antelope back up onto the alfalfa field! Now they were slowly working my way! Eventually they were at 50-yards drinking in the irrigation ditch and the buck was in the middle of them. Once the doe blocking him moved, I sent my arrow and hit him in the 12-ring at 50-yards. He ran 40-yards walked another 20 or so and tipped over all in site.

The antelope scores about 70-72" (big cutters) and guessed at 5yo. A great first Antelope! The amazing thing is that he was the same antelope the farmer spooked the day before and he was at 50-Yards!!! Very happy with him. On the eating, I had some burger and its pretty good. I’m told because their primary food is Alfalfa not prairie grass these animals taste great. I'm very happy how it all worked out! Now if my Whitetails would cooperate!!!

4.jpg 621A9246bbbbb.jpg621A9392nnnnn.jpg 17 (2).jpg 18 (2).jpg
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Congrats, I have heard what they eat can make them great or horrible.
    Last edited by Roddy; 08-23-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Awesome!! Congrats on an outstanding animal!!

Impressive! Congratulations!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

5. Member
    Excellent outcome. Get another opinion on that shoulder. I was told I was out of commission but a sports surgeon said otherwise. With a few months of the right therapy, I’m at 90%.
    Good luck and good eating.

Congrats!! Any pronghorn with archery gear is a trophy in my eyes. I’ve killed and eaten eight so far, and it is among my favorite table fare.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Moderator
    Awesome! Congrats on a nice animal. Any Pronghorn with a bow is a trophy for sure.

8. Member
    Congrats!

Nice congrats on a nice Buck.

10. Member
    Great story and great buck. Congrats!!!!

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Awesome speed goat, my favorite animal to hunt besides mule deer of course. Congrats my friend.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Sweet hunt thanks for the update and all the pictures in the general forum

13. Member
    Congrats!! Did you hunt private or public land