Mossberg Patriot Rifle

Anyone using the Mossberg Patriot rifle that has has the wood stock and Vortex II scope, or ?

Looking at a like new used one but don't know where to buy it or not, price is real good but can't find anyone that's even shot one.

2. Member
    Those are budget rifles so do not pay too much for it but if you just want a cheap rifle I am sure it will work fine. I remember seeing one that had an insanely good piece of wood on it but I did not care for the rifle as a whole but I have been ruined from using nice Mauser based actions. Of the budget models i actually kind of like the ruger American but their stocks suck. I wish they would put wood on them like mossberg does.

I do not own one but they have a reputation as being shooters.

4. Member
    Sorry, I don't own any Mossbergs but I will say they look nice for the price. At first glance, you might think it's a Model 700. I won't give advice either way but you should consider the reason for them selling a like-new rifle. Could they not get it to group well? There seems to be a lot of disagreement over how accurate the Patriots are. I don't know if that's do to flaws in some of the barrels, finicky ammo needs or what. My guess is it would probably be a perfectly good tool for the job so long as you don't ask too much from it. For short to medium range hunting I bet it would do fine.

I've watched several videos by these guys and think they do a decent job of reviewing rifles for the average Joe. The one question I have about this range test is whether the barrel got hot. That's kinda what it looks like to me. Maybe they said something about cooling periods and I missed it but I know that my 700 mtn rifle is gonna be good for a few shots and then it will get too warm and start wandering all over. I've had guys tell me to free-float the barrel or glass-bed it and I'm like, "No, if I wanted a range gun I'd buy one. This is my hunting rifle and I seldom need more than one shot."

I know that my 700 mtn rifle is gonna be good for a few shots and then it will get too warm and start wandering all over. I've had guys tell me to free-float the barrel or glass-bed it and I'm like, "No, if I wanted a range gun I'd buy one. This is my hunting rifle and I seldom need more than one shot."

Ever have an issue with taking the action out of the stock and having it shoot a different zero when you put it back together? A float and bed job, or a full lenght bed job could help cure that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    I know that my 700 mtn rifle is gonna be good for a few shots and then it will get too warm and start wandering all over. I've had guys tell me to free-float the barrel or glass-bed it and I'm like, "No, if I wanted a range gun I'd buy one. This is my hunting rifle and I seldom need more than one shot."

Ever have an issue with taking the action out of the stock and having it shoot a different zero when you put it back together? A float and bed job, or a full lenght bed job could help cure that.
    Nope, haven't had that be an issue but thanks for the tip. The only accuracy problem I ever had in 30 years was when the front scope mount loosened up.