Suggestions - GTB/Elk/Torch Area vs. Burt/Mullet Indian River Area or Other?

I have a few days of vacation I need to use so was looking at heading up to fish and camp with a buddy for 5 or so days starting Wed 8/31.

Never been to the above mentioned areas so looking for suggestions/ideas - don't care either Largemouth or Smallmouth, just looking for a place we can get on some numbers with potential for size. Based on the time of year also looking for basic directions in terms of patterns. One thing that is appealing is the number of lakes available in these areas so we are open to lake hopping as well. TIA.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

2. Member
    Man flip a coin honestly. GTB/ELK-SKEG and surrounding lakes are maybe a little easier to figure out than Burt/Mullet. Can't beat Indian river area though. You can catch them just about anywhere in the summer.

3. Member
    I recommend Drummond Island.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I recommend Drummond Island.
    I was there in July.....It is crazy fun fishing. You can fish for pretty much any species you choose in any method you want at any depth...We caught Herring/whitefish, walleye, smallmouth, Northern pike. Lake trout, steelhead and Atlantic salmon...We caught the Trout/Salmon jigging in Lake Huron with Bass rods...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I was there in July.....It is crazy fun fishing. You can fish for pretty much any species you choose in any method you want at any depth...We caught Herring/whitefish, walleye, smallmouth, Northern pike. Lake trout, steelhead and Atlantic salmon...We caught the Trout/Salmon jigging in Lake Huron with Bass rods...
    Yep, it's a special place for sure. Been too long since I've been there.

That sounds like alot of fun!

if you want numbers - barbeau (UP near sault st marie) on the canadian side (st joeseph bay) or drummond area.

Elk, skeg, torch GTB, intermediate, belle aire all good lakes, but you probably won't get into big numbers this time of year. the a-rig bite can be good, but you'll probably be graphing and dropshotting a lot for not a lot of bites.

yoop is like 2 hrs more driving but you can definitley have some big number days that you won't likely find in the lower penninsula this time of year. grand traverse bay, torch, skeg will give up some big fish though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    That sounds like alot of fun!
    It was....It's kind of nice to get away from chasing bass and focus on other species to mix things up a bit....I dont compete anymore but when I did it was all about chasing bass...Fun fishing for multi species is a great change of pace..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

9. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Did you take your boat, or did you rent? Sounds like something I need to look at for next year.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    Did you take your boat, or did you rent? Sounds like something I need to look at for next year.
    I was invited to fish with a bunch of my buddies from High school and Motorcycle racing...There were nine of us and they had 3 19 foot Aluminum boats so I didn't take my boat...You could have easily fished out of a Bass boat and the Launch at Detour by the Ferry is nice...I didn't stay on the island but I guess the launch there is good also..Ferrying your boat and truck across is no big deal..
    We crossed the St Marys river and mostly fished around the Islands...The days we ran into Lake Huron for the Lake trout and Salmon we kept an eye on the wind but it stayed pretty decent..
    I think next year I am going to take my Bass boat so I can be a little more mobile.....I would also like to fish Canadian water, my buddies didn't want to buy the extra license..Which I get because they don't fish that water much being mostly from Eaton Rapids.
    It is a blast...There is a ton of water to fish....With all the Islands and the River it is alot different than fishing LSC or Erie... It's one of those places where you get up in the morning and decide the species you want to fish for and the technique for that day..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 08-30-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    Zinn

11. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. We may be there the first week of August next year.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    Thanks for the info. We may be there the first week of August next year.
    Here is a couple of links in places to stay on the Island..
    One is the Ferry schedule..We stayed at the rustic campground in Detour but that got a little old after a week..Lake Huron makes a cold bath..

https://www.northernproperties.com/i...dule_and_Rates

https://www.northernproperties.com/i...Cottages&id=83
    Zinn