Rusty Brown bilge water / How to know if I have rotted stringers?!?!

OK. So I just bought a Coral 202 but still have time to back out of the deal.
    The boat seems great and the floor seems solid, but I noticed that after a full day on the lake, when I pulled the drain plug and started the bilge that the water that came out was rusty brown. The lake water was clear.

Now I'm afraid the boat has rotten stringers, but how can I tell?

I don't pull my plug after every trip so that when I do, the water that comes out is often brownish, like tannic water colored, so I think that what you saw is normal.

You can always have a good look at bilge area and inspect for cracks or separation of any of the joints where the stringers meet the transom. Another idea is to have a professional look at it for peace of mind.

Tom

3. Member
    Thanks! Stupid question: So do I pull out the batteries and oil tank to get to the area where the transom meets the stringers? I literally have 8 hrs to back out if I need to and the none of the local guys can look at it today.
    Thanks again!

4. Member
    Not sure on the Coral but on the Cobra there is a removable panel in the middle of the battery compartment that allows access to the bilge pump and aerator pumps. You should be able to look in there an get an idea. BTW mine has dark tannic water every time I pull the plug. I attribute mine to uncurred resin. Seems mine started happening after the heat wave in Texas. Boat is stored in a locked boat storage so it heats up pretty good in there. I could also be deceiving myself. Good luck.