Whopper Plopper mods

Anyone adding a swivel to their whopper plopper to reduce line twist?

Was looking at adding some spro split ring swivels but it seems like their lb test rating is very low, can anyone reccomend a decent option at a good size

Not sure what size I used but added split rings to the ones I have.

3. Member
    Im thinking a 2 hyperwire should be ok then maybe i'll add a spro power swivel to that- looking to do it on 110s so I don't want to add too much weight to the front

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Anyone adding a swivel to their whopper plopper to reduce line twist?

Was looking at adding some spro split ring swivels but it seems like their lb test rating is very low, can anyone reccomend a decent option at a good size
    I have never noticed any line twist out of Whopper Plopper !??
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

I’ve had them twist a couple times but that cause I was going to fast. You shouldn’t have them twist on you and putting a snap swivel might take away the action if all they do is twist.

6. Member
    I added size 6 Spro Power swivels to all of my Whopper Ploppers. I bought them because they are rated at 80lbs, but they are a very small swivel. I was able to get them on, but if I was to do it over again I'd get the size 4 instead. I generally haven't had issues with line twist but once you get grass wrapped around the plopper, the bait will just spin all the way back to the boat. I actually had to respool a reel with new braid after getting horrible line twisting due to running the bait around eel grass one day.

7. Member
    Yeah thats what I'm up against, one piece of grass and your twisted to the max

The only ones I've ever had give me twisting problems are the 90 size, or yes, when you get them fouled up with grass. Braid helps make that a non-issue for me, so I'm surprised people have still had it so bad that it ruined braid. I suppose I will let them "unspin" for a couple seconds before casting again if they ended up fouled up and really twisted so maybe that's the difference?

Not exactly what you asked about, but FWIW I've gone almost exclusively to the Berkley Choppo over the Plopper. I think the sound is better, they're cheaper, the colors are better, and they seem to run better in all sizes.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    I put a swivel on front when around grass .Eliminates line twist

10. Member
    Interesting about the choppo, seems like it takes the R2S a lot to get the tail kicking o the 90 size

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The only ones I've ever had give me twisting problems are the 90 size, or yes, when you get them fouled up with grass. Braid helps make that a non-issue for me, so I'm surprised people have still had it so bad that it ruined braid. I suppose I will let them "unspin" for a couple seconds before casting again if they ended up fouled up and really twisted so maybe that's the difference?

Not exactly what you asked about, but FWIW I've gone almost exclusively to the Berkley Choppo over the Plopper. I think the sound is better, they're cheaper, the colors are better, and they seem to run better in all sizes.
    Drew, I only had the issue with really bad twisting one time. I was fishing a Whopper Plopper 130 and was making fairly long casts. Within the first 10 feet of the retrieve it was getting eel grass that was right under the surface wrapped up on the plopper. The bait would then spin all the way back to the boat. I tried letting it untwist but I think the twisting had happened so far up the line that the untwisting I was doing with a few feet of line let out just wasn't helping much. After fishing for about an hour or two the braid was so badly twisted that it was in horrible shape. I tried cutting the bait off and then letting out a bunch of line and dragging it behind the boat, but that didn't help either.