engine oil leaking out lower unit weep hole

2000 yamaha 200 hpdi motor leaking engine oil out of the lower unit weep hole, checked under cowling did not see any oil leaks, checked and replaced lower unit oil, no water in the oil, any suggestion, the power head was replaced on this motor a year ago in april

bob

2. Member
    I've had this issue and still haven't got to the bottom of it. It's likely not gear oil but engine oil leaking into the cowling and then dripping down to the shift shaft or somewhere else that then leaks through the weep holes. It could be oil from your silencer as there's a couple of tubes that recirc unspent oil. It could also be a leak from the on board oil tank at the top... or even a leak around the oil pump... hard to track down.
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

I had this same issue and what I found it was is a small oil line at the back/bottom of the intake silencer (big black plastic cover for the intake)

This is a small line that has no clamp to hold it on and while doing maintenance I must have pulled it lose

Attachment 499040
    "The handicapped angler"

When I do an oil change the oil that gets by my rags when pulling the filter will leak down and out of those holes for a few days.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Did you figure it out?

6. Member

engine leaking oil out lower unit weep holw

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Did you figure it out?
    it was the lower seal on the crankshaft that was not installed correctly, replace seal and no leaks

Quote Originally Posted by bobimo View Post
    it was the lower seal on the crankshaft that was not installed correctly, replace seal and no leaks