Thread: 9.9 EFI battery

9.9 EFI battery

Does a 9.9 EFI need it's own battery? I'm getting mine installed as a trolling motor next week and wondering if I need an additional battery. I do not have the serial number yet.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- you should have your own (dedicated) battery for the kicker engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    So what do I tell my Mercury dealer if their answer is "No, you do not need a separate battery."?

4. Member
    Tell them you WANT a dedicated battery for the kicker. It is YOUR boat/engine...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If (and only it) you will never run both engines at the same time, for any reason, one battery "could" be used. Of course, the battery could need to be compatible with BOTH engines as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If (and only it) you will never run both engines at the same time, for any reason, one battery "could" be used. Of course, the battery could need to be compatible with BOTH engines as well.
    Copy. Both keys are on the same floatie key chain now so impossible to run both. Will evaluate any future need to run both at the same time - doubt that will ever be necessary. I read in the specs that Engine Guardian is present in the 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker. Is there a beeper? I have no "beep" when I turn the key on. Should I have a test beeper when turning the key to "on?"

7. Member
    Yes- you should have your own (dedicated) battery for the kicker engine.
    I'll start with my question: Why?I 100% respect your experience. Fact. but I read the installation manual, and there is nothing mentioned about a dedicated battery. The ONLY specific instructions in the installation guide say that an electric start engine must be connected to a battery. That's pretty generic.Mercury must understand that their Pro Kickers are frequently installed beside one of their larger, main engines, no? Yet no specific information about connecting to a shared battery?I do not doubt your opinion about a dedicated battery for each engine, but I do question the manufacturer's lack of clarity in that arena if it is obviously that important to you, who likely has more real experience than anyone in Fon du Lac.That said, I guess sometimes I'm not one to just take anyone for their word without an explanation. Mercury's owner's manual does not tell me I need a dedicated battery and neither did my Mercury Authorized Dealer. I just want to know why.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The real deciding factors here will be:

1. What battery (and type) are you utilizing for your cranking battery with the 150?

2. Will you EVER, for ANY reason plan to run both engines at the same time?

#1 is most critical as some of the best battery choices for the 150 SHOULD NOT be used with the 9.9, based on it's charging system type (and limited output). The 9.9 really should use a Lead-Acid (Wet Cell) battery.

9. Member
    1) Interstate MTP-34, flooded cell - 800 CCA.
    2) I cannot envision any circumstance which I would have both engines running.

That said, I'm going to consider upgrading the Battery for the 150 and let the 9.9 have the current battery. Thanks for that info, my 9.9 owner's manual does not specify a particular battery, other than minimum MCA/CCA.

On edit: I have no beeper test sounding upon turning the key on. There is a beeper under the cowl of the 9.9. I do have a remote key switch on the dash for the kicker engine (not incorporated in the remote throttle/shift lever) What might be the issue with no test beep upon turning the ignition on with the key?
    Last edited by JS!; 09-20-2022 at 10:06 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do not believe that your 9.9 sounds a test beep, at least as best I recall.

Page# 53 of the Owner's Manual indicates that "the Warning System on this does not have a warning horn".

Instead, it is equipped with an LED to indicate problems/faults, and also has Engine Guardian features.

11. Member
    Interesting. When I go to Mercury's website and pull up my manual based on my serial number, I get the manual, P/N 8M0165091. And it does indicate exactly what you posted on pg. 53. However, that is not the manual I received with my engine. My manual is P/N 8M0169314. I tried to pull that manual up by P/N and says not available electronically. My manual, on pg. 70, disagrees on the warning horn on start-up, stating that the 9.9 sounds a 1-second horn upon start-up as a system test. (see attached photos) I also found under the cowl, what I'm guessing is a horn, but it's just a guess based on where it is located and what it looks like (a small speaker). I do have the LED light.

I'm confused - do I have the wrong manual? I mean it shows a picture of a Pro Kicker inside and says it has a warning horn. Either way, I have no system test beep upon turning the key on, even though the manual I was given, that came in the crate, say I should.

Any help figuring this out is appreciated!

pg70.jpg8M0169314.jpgPXL_20220923_014025334.jpgPXL_20220920_013810630.jpgPXL_20220923_015619483.jpg

On edit: is a link to a YouTube video (I know Don, you don't like the (You)Tube) but this 9.9 Pro Kicker sounds it's horn at startup. Fast forward to 7:05 ( I couldn't get the link to video time to work)
    Last edited by JS!; 09-23-2022 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Video link

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The manual has been updated/revised (as you also experienced, I pulled up the owner's manual by serial number).

13. Member
    OK, good I have the correct manual. What would cause the horn to not sound when ignition is turned on?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Again- there is no warning horn feature according to the most recent Owner's Manual.

15. Member
    Well I guess that Mercury just has not updated their manuals on their website because I do have the correct manual and resolved the "warning test beep at startup" question today. On the newest (mine was manufactured 4/22) 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker, the warning test beep DOES NOT happen upon turning the key to the ON position, it happens upon STARTING the engine. I had not started the engine, only turned the key on after I read my manual, and read that it has an audible warning, in conjunction with the LED light. So I hooked the hose up today and yes, the warning horn, beeper, alarm does sound for one second when you start the engine. (And the manual does say "start up" not "Key on")
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fAVZW3XhqRE

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting... Guess their internal manual index is wrong.

Far as I ever know its for oil pressure warning. It sound until pressure builds on start. Horn and light.

18. Member
    Interesting... Guess their internal manual index is wrong.
    It is interesting because the manual you (and I) pulled up by my serial number is dated 2019. The manual I have in hand, indicating the presence of an audible alarm, is dated 2020. That was a while ago! My in-hand manual has printed on the cover "9.9/15/20 EFI FourStroke" The manual that comes up by my serial number covers the "8/9.9 and 9.9 Command Thrust/ProKicker FourStroke" (printed on cover.) I do believe the EFI version of the 9.9 Prokicker was introduced in late 2020 or early 2021, but that's just going by when info surfaced online.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Far as I ever know its for oil pressure warning. It sound until pressure builds on start. Horn and light.
    Actually, the one-second beep upon startup, or key-on, (see your owner's manual), is a system test to let the operator know that the warning system is working. The lack of an audible beep at start up/key on should advise the operator that something is wrong with the warning system. (Such as a faulty alarm horn)

Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    It is interesting because the manual you (and I) pulled up by my serial number is dated 2019. The manual I have in hand, indicating the presence of an audible alarm, is dated 2020. That was a while ago! My in-hand manual has printed on the cover "9.9/15/20 EFI FourStroke" The manual that comes up by my serial number covers the "8/9.9 and 9.9 Command Thrust/ProKicker FourStroke" (printed on cover.) I do believe the EFI version of the 9.9 Prokicker was introduced in late 2020 or early 2021, but that's just going by when info surfaced online.

Actually, the one-second beep upon startup, or key-on, (see your owner's manual), is a system test to let the operator know that the warning system is working. The lack of an audible beep at start up/key on should advise the operator that something is wrong with the warning system. (Such as a faulty alarm horn)
    You are correct. It sounds on startup to confirm system operation and until oil pressure is reached. I pulled out my owners manual for my 2018 15 EFI and confirmed on page 52 & 53 the warning horn system. Horn and light for oil pressure, overheat, sensor error and restrictor. Thanks you for the refresher.