Compressor belt tensioner spring keeps breaking

I have a 2006 115 Optimax. I have had a recurring problem with the spring for the compressor belt tensioner breaking. It happened for the fourth time in about ten years yesterday.

Has anyone heard of this problem and does anyone have any idea what may be causing it?
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not that common... have you changed the belt each time?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I found out today that the spring sits in a part of the compressor housing. Part of that housing is broken off, causing the spring to break after a couple of years. You can't replace just the housing. I am getting a whole new compressor.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

4. Member
    ouch , new belt also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As expensive as that is, at least you have a bolt-on component you can replace (V6 models it's cast into the BLOCK).

Of course... technically the block is a bolt-on component too....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor