Thread: O'Brien Locks

O'Brien Locks

Can someone explain the procedure for locking through the O'Brien Locks on the Cal Sag in order to fish Lake Calumet ?

2. Member
    When you pull up to the lock, about 1/2 way down the wall you will see a painted section. It will have a button to press to signal you want to lock through. Only press the button once. If you see someone else waiting, you might want to ask if they already pressed the button. You will see a red green stop light by the lock entrance. When the lock opens the boats inside of the lock come out first. A horn will blow to tell them they may exit the lock. After they exit, the horn will blow again, the light will turn green and you may idle inside. Assuming you have a trolling motor, shutdown your big engine and just hold your spot in the lock while the level goes up. Larger boats have hooks on sticks to hold on to the wall. You should never tie off a rope inside of the lock. When the lock gets to the level the doors will open. When the horn blows you may exit the lock.

Just a note of caution. The lockmaster can be moody. If he is upset he can make you wait a long time. He can just not let you in the lock for a cycle. Push the button too many times he will be triggered. Fishing near or inside of the lock is not allowed. Pleasure boats are last through the lock. I'd say on average it takes 45 minutes. One time it took me nearly 2 hours.

3. Member
    Thanks much.

4. Member
    The lockmaster with The reddish beard can be a straight up *****. However, have not seen him all season.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    The lockmaster with The reddish beard can be a straight up *****. However, have not seen him all season.
    Let’s hope he got another job. I don’t know why they can’t get on their PA and give you an update. I’ve sat there a half hour after pushing the button before the gates open when no one was locking through. If I plan on fishing the river I’ll just launch at Hammond. I’d rather go for a boat ride than deal with thr frustration of the lock and using Waterfront.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

6. Member
    There has to be some land that a bar owner, or marina could buy on the other side and have a decent business.