200XL Prop Question

E225DHLSCM on a 2008 200 XL with Tempest Plus 26p. Had lower unit rebuilt so putting back on motor. Replacement LU I was using had to plug(solid) all 3 PVS plugs to get her up on plane. Now with old LU back on, forgot to note how many PVS plugs were solid and how many were vented…Lol.
    What will the performance be like if I have too many with solid plugs? What should I feel that will tell me I am wrong or right?
    Any suggestions?

2. Member
    plugs only affect hole shot. I would start with all open and see what the prop will hold. need to vent it so it hits 3500-3800 on take off with a normal load (fuel and water). too much venting and prop will blow out not enough and hole shot will be terrible. fixed or hyd jack plate? if it blows out with 3 open add 3 big holes and try again. you want it to rev up to the numbers above without blowing out. will need more venting in the heat of summer and I think we are mostly past that also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Thanks!

5. Member
    Willing to sell the stratos?!!
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp

Wasn't really thinking about it right now...but you never know. PM me your email and I will send you a couple pics if you like

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    plugs only affect hole shot. I would start with all open and see what the prop will hold. need to vent it so it hits 3500-3800 on take off with a normal load (fuel and water). too much venting and prop will blow out not enough and hole shot will be terrible. fixed or hyd jack plate? if it blows out with 3 open add 3 big holes and try again. you want it to rev up to the numbers above without blowing out. will need more venting in the heat of summer and I think we are mostly past that also
    Got out on the water today. Started with 3 plugs in, all with big holes, because that’s how I thought it was before. RPM’s too high @ 4800 before getting on plane. Plugged one hole with solid plug and RPM dropped down into lower 4000. Jumped right up and took off like it used to. I think I’ll stay there until I get a chance to have another person in the boat. I run 3 people a lot because I am a full time fishing guide . Does that make sense? Could try it with 2 holes plugged and another person tomorrow.
    Your information really helped. Appreciate it.

I'd say if you get a 250 pound guy in the boat it will blow out just before she breaks over. So, yes change one large plug to a solid plug and see what happens when you have a good sized guy with you. If a solid is too much and she drags getting up, then change it to a small hole and go from there.

FYI,
    I run a Javelin R20 which is the same hull you have. I have a 200HO etec on a 6 inch plate with an L2 LU & ne Pro2 PP. 3 heavy batteries. I spin a 26P Trophy. It's a bit slower right now in this high heat and humidity but still gets it done. Saturday my rider was 250# plus his tackle which wasn't all that much. His extra weight caused me to blow out at take-off and I had to feather it and take off slower.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I used to have one with a 225 Evinrude, a 4 blade prop took care of all my hole shot problems. I cannot for the life of me remember what size though.ido remember having to tweak the jack plate alot.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude