Thread: Surging Idle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And repeatedly check to make sure the OD of the diaphragm is seated while pulling it down. If any portion stands up, STOP, back up and start over.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thank You

3. Member
    So I replaced the air and fuel diaphragms as well as the tracker. Still have the surging idle and now there’s fuel in the air side. I disassembled the air regulator to make sure the diaphragm was seated and reassembled doing as Don said checking and rechecking to make sure it’s seated. Don’t know where to check next. Air pressures still at 60 / 78-80

4. Member
    questions ::#1 was rails cleaned out from residual fuel after repair , #2 what part was defective that was replaced ,#3 does fuel psi drop at key off or hold , #4 does air psi drop at key off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    So I pressurized the air to 80lbs and found that the air line going from rail to rail has a hole leaking air. So I’m guessing that’s the reason my pressures are off. Would that be the cause of fuel in the air side or should I be checking something else for that? As I posted earlier all diaphragms were changed - tracker, air and fuel

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- ANY air leak will result in "fuel in the air side of the system".

Replace leaking hose, and test for any further problems (note that spark plugs are often fouled in cases such as this).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks Don

8. Member
    Replaced the air hose - engine started right up and is idling like a champ. Checked pressures exactly 15 apart 90/105. Once again thanks to Don, Joe and the others that offerd help - Truly Appreciate It - Rich

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    fuel psi follows air psi problem could be in air side of system also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12