Thread: Livewell vents?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Livewell vents?

Are livewell vents actually worth installing and do they help at all or is it just another gimmick?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    There are several posting with multiple pages on these and i'd say 99% of the guys on those post like them.

I'm one of them that have installed the vents on 2 boats that i have owned and never had an issue. Between keeping the pumps running, additives and the vents, i can keep my fish alive. Down here in the south, it gets pretty hot and i can fell a difference before i had them and when i added them.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I love mine, make my old live well breathe better!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    There are several posting with multiple pages on these and i'd say 99% of the guys on those post like them.

I'm one of them that have installed the vents on 2 boats that i have owned and never had an issue. Between keeping the pumps running, additives and the vents, i can keep my fish alive. Down here in the south, it gets pretty hot and i can fell a difference before i had them and when i added them.
    To be fair, most people are pretty biased when it comes to product reviews on items that they bought / installed. That said, I bought and installed a set and they seem to be working fine. Certainly not hurting anything, but gun to my head I can't say if they make a huge difference or not.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

You can easily tell the difference with them, live well is cooler and no smell.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Are livewell vents actually worth installing and do they help at all or is it just another gimmick?
    Far from a gimmick they work period. I have used them since they came out and summer water temps here are in the 90's.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Far from a gimmick they work period. I have used them since they came out and summer water temps here are in the 90's.
    wonder why no boat company has made them std or an option??? or copied it somehow??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    You can easily tell the difference with them, live well is cooler and no smell.
    Do you keep your live well on recirculate or keep pumping in fresh water? I leave mine on a timer pulling in fresh water all day then switch to recirculate when I pull it out of the water. Would the vents make much difference there?

9. Member
    Yes

They work. Open the live well after a day in the sun, then another compartment. You can feel the difference in the temperature ( heat). Had them on my boat about eight years. I also recirc the water, add livewell treatment. Add ice if it is the middle of the summer
    I was hesitant about installing. Once you cut, no backtracking. Had a beer to think about it. Glad I did the install, no issues.

11. Member
    Big difference for me. Of course, it's blazing hot here in the summer.
    Odor alone is enough to point out a vast difference chemically.
    And the fish aren't just alive, they're still feisty and ready to release.

12. Member
    I have a set ready to install and was looking for these answers good or not good for a while now, does get hot at times in the northeast
    but knock on wood haven't lost a fish. and have watched closely the elites and other Tournaments which fish all over the country and never seen them installed in their boats or noticed them. So I guess that's what is holding me back from drilling my Live well Lids

13. Member
    So we haul fish of all kinds around MN in aluminum tanks and venting of the tanks is critical to avoid gas buildup in the hauling tank. Obviously on a truck with large tanks it is even more critical, but the concept of venting an enclosed fish hauling tank has been done for many years. It is a biologically and physiologically sound concept that is effective. It obviously will not solve inadequate livewell pumps or improper aeration.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Big difference for me. Of course, it's blazing hot here in the summer.
    Odor alone is enough to point out a vast difference chemically.
    And the fish aren't just alive, they're still feisty and ready to release.
    You get a boat ?
    I recently installed them in mine.
    Don't know how much they help, but they can't hurt.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    wonder why no boat company has made them std or an option??? or copied it somehow??
    Defiantly should be a option since some guy's a not comfortable cutting a hole in there lid.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You get a boat ?
    I recently installed them in mine.
    Don't know how much they help, but they can't hurt.
    Nope ... had them on my bass boat, V-T2, installed when they were new.
    Sure wasn't easy breaking out a giant holesaw on the boat, but it was fine.
    Took my time, a lot of time. Checked everything over & over, then cut.

17. Member
    I'm another fan of them. I didn't do a lot of tournament fishing without them, but I get the concept, and it makes a lot of sense to me. Ventilation keeps closed compartments cooler and keeps gasses from building up. It also helps things dry in there while out of the water when I don't open them up.

I have them and love them !! Doesn't need any power to "Run" them and they vent the live wells of any toxic air created by bad water, heat, etc. I riveted mine in vs the nut and bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Actually just ordered a set earlier this week and should be here next week. Also picked up a 3" hole saw, so will be a project for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Do you keep your live well on recirculate or keep pumping in fresh water? I leave mine on a timer pulling in fresh water all day then switch to recirculate when I pull it out of the water. Would the vents make much difference there?
    Pump fresh all day, 1 minute on 3 minutes off.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast