Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A good video on oil change frequency by a master mechanic

A lot of good info in this one. While it’s a Toyota plenty of new cars come with an extended oil change recommendation.

2. Member
    The super extended oil change recommendations are pretty silly. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, I feel its well worth the extra money to change it around every 5k or so.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I want the oil coming out to be almost as good as the oil going in. Never want to run with dirty, used-up oil.

P01135809

4. Member
    For decades I have been doing oil changes at half the recommended interval. And, using good quality oil.

I supply my own oil to the dealer to use, that way, I know that good oil is going in, and the same stuff is used each time.

If you read your owners manual carefully, they usually do state to increase the oil change frequency (or do an interim change) under “extreme” or “severe use” conditions. I bet that few people then take the time to follow the asterisk * and see what they define as those conditions- it usually includes lots of stop/start driving in city traffic, any towing or driving in extreme heat or cold etc etc….. stuff that many people might notbthink is extreme conditions…

5. Member
    Been running Mobile One since they came out with it over 40 years ago, never an engine issue. Change oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

6. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

A lot of good info in this one. While it’s a Toyota plenty of new cars come with an extended oil change recommendation.

Hey rat, really appreciate you sharing this. My wife has a 2021 Highlander and I was skeptical and had her ask the dealership about this very thing about 2 weeks ago at the scheduled maintenance visit. I probably would have just gone on down the road thinking that the dealership must know what they are talking about and surely Toyota uses a high quality synthetic oil. However, I should have trusted my instincts, now I will change the oil myself.

7. Member
    Good info. I’ve always wondered about this. I just started changing it myself again, and after watching this, I will continue. Common sense told me not to follow the extended change, but I guess I didn’t read far enough. Oil will gum up, carbon will build up, if given time, I knew that, but I was careless. I have about 55000 on my 2015, hope it’s o k.

8. Member
    Be aware, many dealerships do not use OEM lubricants.
    Ford/Lincoln is the most compliant due to Fast Lane criteria.
    Ask if there's not signs. Preventative maintenance is key.

9. Member
    Thought as much as Toyota dealership charges, it would be the good stuff. Even used to see the trucks from the company TampaJim worked at delivering. But I know they are going to deliver what's ordered. Just assumed it would be. Now I know.
    I will see how this response goes, because I ain't getting the version I used to always get, on my phone anymore. And I am on Google, not Chrome.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    08 F150 KR with 180,000 k miles...changed every 5k oil is still clear on the dipstick when I change it.....I only burn 1 qt in 5 k miles....this is the dreaded 5.4 3v engine....many trips to Fla. 5 trips to Maine.....pulls my boat with no problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    08 F150 KR with 180,000 k miles...changed every 5k oil is still clear on the dipstick when I change it.....I only burn 1 qt in 5 k miles....this is the dreaded 5.4 3v engine....many trips to Fla. 5 trips to Maine.....pulls my boat with no problem.....
    I have an 06 5.4 3v 158k change the oil every 3000, motorcraft oil and filter, do it myself still hasn’t burned any oil, no problems with engine and I too when changed will still be relatively clear on the dipstick. Have an 04 Lincoln Navigator has a 5.4 4v 178k no oil usage change every 3000. To a lot of people that is way too soon at 3000 but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Works for me. Neither engine leaks oil either.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    Thought as much as Toyota dealership charges, it would be the good stuff. Even used to see the trucks from the company TampaJim worked at delivering. But I know they are going to deliver what's ordered. Just assumed it would be. Now I know.
    I will see how this response goes, because I ain't getting the version I used to always get, on my phone anymore. And I am on Google, not Chrome.
    ExxonMobil delivers all Toyota/Lexus branded lubricants to dealerships.
    I'm positive there are dealers not using it for non-warranty service.
    All dealerships are required to use OEM for warranty reimbursed work.

13. Member
    I noticed in that video near the end, he mentioned he was about to change the entire suspension on that LS.....from air suspension to coil spring suspension. My son had a 2008 Lincoln with the air suspension....that went out. Had to change all components of the suspension...at almost 4 grand. I had a friend find me some coil springs and took all that crap off for 700 bucks. Rode really well after too.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    I noticed in that video near the end, he mentioned he was about to change the entire suspension on that LS.....from air suspension to coil spring suspension. My son had a 2008 Lincoln with the air suspension....that went out. Had to change all components of the suspension...at almost 4 grand. I had a friend find me some coil springs and took all that crap off for 700 bucks. Rode really well after too.
    My 04 has the coil springs replaced the air ride. Mine is just fine on ride and stability.

15. Member
    I believe changing oil early is just a waste of resources, unless a necessity (lots of idling and slow city driving). I change my '19 F350's syn oil when the meter says to and Blackstone says my oil looks great at 10k. Blackstone said the oil looked great on my '01 F350 at 7500 miles with conventional oil. My Mustang had 10k syn oil changes and didn't burn a drop when I sold it at 208k miles.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    For decades I have been doing oil changes at half the recommended interval. And, using good quality oil.

I supply my own oil to the dealer to use, that way, I know that good oil is going in, and the same stuff is used each time.

If you read your owners manual carefully, they usually do state to increase the oil change frequency (or do an interim change) under “extreme” or “severe use” conditions. I bet that few people then take the time to follow the asterisk * and see what they define as those conditions- it usually includes lots of stop/start driving in city traffic, any towing or driving in extreme heat or cold etc etc….. stuff that many people might notbthink is extreme conditions…
    Does the vehicle computer account for the "extreme use conditions"?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I believe changing oil early is just a waste of resources, unless a necessity (lots of idling and slow city driving). I change my '19 F350's syn oil when the meter says to and Blackstone says my oil looks great at 10k. Blackstone said the oil looked great on my '01 F350 at 7500 miles with conventional oil. My Mustang had 10k syn oil changes and didn't burn a drop when I sold it at 208k miles.
    If someone does testing, on a consistent basis, you're correct. Most people don't & won't.
    However, we all burn oil, you just didn't show low due to water/fuel/carbon replacing it.
    With proper maintenance & quality factory engineering, it's minimal, but it's always there.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    ExxonMobil delivers all Toyota/Lexus branded lubricants to dealerships.
    I'm positive there are dealers not using it for non-warranty service.
    All dealerships are required to use OEM for warranty reimbursed work.
    Thought twice, out of many times at Lakeland Toyota, I seen Truck like were at the warehouse when I visited the once. So thought you all supplied them. My Tundra trucks were out of warranty, and don't really know what they use. Just know I ask for the full synthetic. Don't change oil all the time myself, like I used to before the 2015 wreck. But gotcha.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    If someone does testing, on a consistent basis, you're correct. Most people don't & won't.
    However, we all burn oil, you just didn't show low due to water/fuel/carbon replacing it.
    With proper maintenance & quality factory engineering, it's minimal, but it's always there.
    Actually in my last test on the 6.7 PSD, the oil level was normal. There was 0% water, 0% anti-freeze, less than .5% fuel and less than .3% insolubles.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

20. Member
    I’ve said it since cars/trucks came out with the integrated oil change technology, I don’t trust it. I personally on my 08 Silverado 5.3 change mine every 3k miles and rotate. It’s probably not necessary that soon but I feel better about it. I am also a Ford technician and I see many many people run their cars hard and bring it in sometime after the gauge says 0% oil life left. Sometimes it’s 6 or 7k miles and sometimes it’s 12k miles. I will not go as far as to say it’s the reason things fail, I think that would be irresponsible to say. I will say though that I make a very fine living servicing turbos, timing chain sets, and camshaft phasers, particularly on hard run Ford trucks. So yes that’s the 2.7, 3.5 and 5.0 engines. Do what you feel is best but if it were me with one I’d change mine every 5k miles, not trust that metering.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast