15-17 ZX Courtesy Light replacements

So, was searching for LED lighting and saw several references to replacing the existing 194 bulbs with LED versions - and got excited as that would be a simple and fast way to upgrade the candlelight-level courtesy lights my 16 ZX currently has.

But, I guess that is for older bugs. the 15-17 appear to have sealed light housings/aren't using 194 bulbs. So replacing the oval housing is the only solution? Anyone found LED replacements for the oval (aprox 1" x 2") Skeeter 12v sealed courtesy lights?

Not looking to add strip/deck lighting really, just wanted to brighten up the existing lights in the boxes - if possible.

2. Member
    Optronics lighting

3. Member
    I fish at night a lot and installed the Marine Raider LEDs from Academy for more light in my boxes. About $17 per strip and easy to get.

yeah, I was trying to find a replacment I could just drop into the existing courtsey light recesses, but that may or may not be possible. Opronics mentioned above does have a similar oval-ish led around the same size (Marine Raider does as well, actually). I guess I need to get an exact measurment of that oval light/opening and order a few to try out.

Worst case I can switch to a different lamp or led strip, I was just hoping to use existing moutning spots so not having to run new wiring or drill holes, etc.

So Optronics has the UL13 series which are close - not exactly the same as mine are oval and these are sort of trapezodal-ish... but they might work dimension-wise.

https://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCT...x?SeriesID=600

And here's the actual Skeeter part... not sure but it almost looks like an LED also?

In the lockers it doesn't really matter as they are just screwed to the face of the rear rod rack, so I can use anything really. But the one on the console is flush mounted into a little cubby so needs to be pretty close dimensionally for it to fit in there...

EDIT - well dang just noticed they appear to only sell in bulk. Guess I will keep looking.

6. Member
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Yep, I found those after I posted. They also have a video on them showing them lit up - they don't appear very bright at all actually. I couldn't find an lumens specs but based on the video they look pretty weak and may not even be an improvement over what I have now. It appears they are designed to be marker style lights on vehicles/trailes, so maybe not the best choice for lighting up a rod box.

8. Member
    One way to test for LED is to reverse positive / negative wire. LED's usually only work in one direction.
    2016 ZX250