2000 225hp FICHT reliable or not?

So I'm considering picking up a boat with a 2000 225 ficht hanging off the back. The owner claims it runs great. Are these motors looked at as if they're still running at 22 years old, they'll last a while longer? I've never owned an Evinrude. Boat and motor look VERY clean

One of the biggest issue with these engines is parts and finding someone that is willing to work on it if you can't.1999 is when Evinrude claimed bankruptcy and 01 is when BRP took over and started to correct the issues Evinrude was having with the FICHT engines so the engine you are looking at falls into that grey area. The Guru's that know much more than I will chime in on the details but usually the larger 200-225 engines didn't have as much issues as the smaller ones.

My advise is if the boat checks out good and the engine runs well make him an offer on it as if you have to repower the boat. You may get another 20 years from the engine or only one.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    i sold my stratos with one last fall. ran great and new owner is using it daily in TN as I talk to him occasionally. That being said, I took very good care of the motor its whole 22 yrs., carbon guard and great oil always. big parts are getting hard to find and if something big goes wrong it will be a parts engine. if the deal is right maybe but keep it in the back of your mind that sometime in the future another engine might be needed. great engine though. always ran great, great on fuel and oil and lots of power

what is the boat?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

the 2000 model FICHT, just like the 1999 version, is a one year model, most later parts do not interchange
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !