Bad or broken clutch dog, 2012 200 PRO XS 1B933452

I was fishing a local night tournament. I ran to my first stop about a mile away from ramp, in between was 50 yard no-wake then on plane again. When I set down off plane and slowed down to idle, I pulled shifter to neutral, and it was still in foward gear. At first, I thought it was broken shift cable but it wasn't. I had to turn the key off to kill motor. Started engine again and it started while in gear with shifter in neutral. I limped back to the ramp, loaded with troller, disconnected shifter cable at motor and manually engaged shift shaft at motor and watched it rotate on the shift rod that enter LU. Prop was still engaged like it was in gear. 1228 hrs on the whole motor including LU. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

2. Member
    problem with shift crank or spool on end of propshaft most likely
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks Joe, with as many hours it has I may just get another LU and bolt it on. One other thing while fishing the other night, I caught one and put in livewell and filled it. The motor was trimmed down too. When I turned the key it started in reverse. Shut it off and, moved it forward then back to neutral and it started in forward gear again.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

4. Member
    pull gearcase and inspect coupler unlikely but possible
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    report back with findings