Thread: Booms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Nope i had safety glasses on but it ruined a uniform shirt & i had to go wash my big *ss belly off right quick like.

2. Member
    60 Minutes ran an episode not long ago about bringing back high speed passenger planes. They said they will be testing in multiple cities around the country to see what feedback the people give regarding hearing the booms as the planes travel.

3. Member
    Happens all the time around here since there is an Airforce base close by
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    I seen a few military test flights leaving Lambert yesterday could have been one of those earlier
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Probably cat and mouse with UFO's and our fighter jet's

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I am less than 5 miles from Fort Leonard Wood, no planes there. I am probably 100 miles from Whitman AFB as the crow flies. That was the general direction the plane I saw was going. Didn't see anything for the other two. The plane I saw first was directly overhead and at a pretty good altitude.

Been doing a little looking on line. There is some weird stuff out there on booms.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2022/...-in-the-skies/
    We've had a lot of T-38 flights out of Whiteman this week
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Military guys I fly with say it’s pretty damn restricted unless approved for specific training. They take the refraction off supersonic flight and it’s effect on populace and environment pretty serious. Here’s some interesting reading.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-She...40/sonic-boom/

8. Member
    The government creates these booms to subconsciously make people afraid of combustion and push the EV even further along to make money for the people paying for their campaigns (gas and oil). O wait, that last part is counter to my point, forget about that

My T38 squadron commander got called on his boss’s carpet because we had 3 booms in a week. He was in the office when #4 hit. Spoke with him that afternoon and he said it was an “Oh, Shit!” moment.

10. Member
    They’re super common here. Supersonic flight is in the FCF profile after Depot.

11. Member
    Around here it is usually beaver dams being blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    They’re super common here. Supersonic flight is in the FCF profile after Depot.
    Makes sense after heavy maintenance…Then there’s always that guy ready to leave for the Airlines and he’s like WTF…MAX THRUST!

Years ago when we'd be 40 miles out from Long Island Shark or Tuna fishing the Concord would pass over, don't know whether or not he was coming or going, but the peace and quite of the ocean would erupt with two almost impossibly loud bangs that would scare the crap out of everyone on the boat!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Years ago when we'd be 40 miles out from Long Island Shark or Tuna fishing the Concord would pass over, don't know whether or not he was coming or going, but the peace and quite of the ocean would erupt with two almost impossibly loud bangs that would scare the crap out of everyone on the boat!
    Such a cool aircraft. It’s was the only supersonic aircraft with a 3-man cockpit. Would’ve been super cool to fly

Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    When I played with AWACS the back enders knew what time the Concorde would leave the east coast. One of them called me back to watch the screen as they accelerated. The blips were evenly spaced and then they hit the gas. The spacing got bigger and the ground speed was crazy.

16. Member
    Funny I just heard a weird rumble. I live close to a rock quarry but its way too late for them to be blasting. Thought thunder but it sure isnt going to rain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12