Thread: Phenix Blanks?

Phenix Blanks?

Anyone have any thoughts on their blanks. A few years back I bought a Phenix rod one of their cheaper models and I really liked it. Thinking of using one of their blanks for my next build.

2. Scraps
    Hear good things about the rods so would think good. They've got quite a range of qualities.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I've built probably half a dozen. They have less power that their rating pretty much across the board, for instance I've got a 7'6" MH casting blank (Recon Elite I think) that I built as a spinning rod for bombing tubes on the Great Lakes at someone from Phenix's suggestion and the suggestion was pretty much spot on. The Feather series (FTX I think) is a good value too.

I'm kind of a Phenix fanboy so it probably goes without saying that I love them. As Willwork mentioned, they're almost always going to fish lighter than their rating compared to other brands. If you keep that in mind, I think they're really tough to beat. The Feather series is one of my favorites for a ton of stuff...honestly just about everything except techniques where you'd want a more moderate action. They're a great value, really light weight as their name suggests, super sensitive, easier to balance than any other blank I've ever put together, durability is good, and the tip action makes them super versatile. The X-series composites are excellent choices for cranking and general "winding" applications... excellent action for casting and keeping fish pinned, and really lightweight for being composite.

What technique do you have in mind for your next build?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys! Yea I knew they was a little the light side.

6. Member
    Absolutely love the Ultra MBX series. Light weight wise, but definitely not light, power wise, compared to others of equal listings. I got a couple of Feather blanks and wasn’t impressed, but used those unused blanks for a friend’s “budget” build and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Absolutely love the Ultra MBX series. Light weight wise, but definitely not light, power wise, compared to others of equal listings. I got a couple of Feather blanks and wasn’t impressed, but used those unused blanks for a friend’s “budget” build and he loves it.
    I'm really surprised to hear that! I've only handled one UMBX blank and never actually built one so I'm far from an expert, but the one that I did mess around with felt inferior to a similarly spec'd Feather in my mind. I think I was comparing the UMBX 700M to the Feather 71M. I recall puzzling over why anyone would pick the UMBX over the cheaper Feather, though it appears there's something to the UMBX. Maybe just different strokes for different folks? Or maybe it's that the UMBX was actually heavier powered than the Feather so it didn't feel right for what I was looking for? Super interesting either way!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

8. Member
    The UMBX 700M & the Feather 71M were the exact blanks I compared. The Feather is not in the same league as the UMBX, it’s not even lighter. Definitely not as sensitive. The Feather might be balanced about an inch closer to the butt, which might make people “feel” like it’s a lighter, or “better” blank, when simply holding the bare blank. This is probably due to the Feather having an expanded butt section (I didn’t like that as it limited the types of reel seats I could use), and a softer tip (than rated). I don’t know how the 71M is rated for 3/4 ounce baits because it had a softer tip than the 700M and a softer butt section. I was needing a soft tip, but wanted a stronger backbone in the butt section, and that was the main reason I didn’t even bother building the 71M’s for myself.

After building the Feather for a friend, it came out way better than I expected, but, in the end, the Feather (Phenix built) is a $150 rod, and the UMBX (Phenix built) is a $350 rod. I felt the first UMBX C700MH rod I bought was better than the Loomis GLX’s I had. It was a no brainer building on them when I found out they sold the blanks too (though they’ve been out of stock for quite some time lately).
    Last edited by JJohnSind; 08-25-2022 at 08:11 AM.

9. Member
    JJohnSind, I built the Feather 7'7" M (B-FTX-S 77M) as a spinning rod and the expanded OD on the butt section was actually kind of nice for that application because I didn't need any kind of arbor for a VSS-16. Agree though that for not a lot more money you're getting a better blank in the UMBX.

10. Member
    If you increase the OD of a blank, it gets stiffer, faster, more powerful, without using a bit of extra material. You double the diameter the stiffness is 9 times greater. The very reason you don't see small diameter fiberglass rods and blanks. Lower modulus made up for by greater diameters. More diameter means all grips and arbors become lighter, there is nothing lighter than a hole. Smaller diameter blanks are heavier walled to make up for the lack of stiffness and can therefore be actually heavier, hence the reason for the heavier feeling GLX. Heavier walled rods are more durable, just like comparing similar weighted brandy snifters to heavier walled beer glasses. Which would survive being dropped best? Thin, heavy wall blanks equal less warranty work.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    If you increase the OD of a blank, it gets stiffer, faster, more powerful, without using a bit of extra material. You double the diameter the stiffness is 9 times greater. The very reason you don't see small diameter fiberglass rods and blanks. Lower modulus made up for by greater diameters. More diameter means all grips and arbors become lighter, there is nothing lighter than a hole. Smaller diameter blanks are heavier walled to make up for the lack of stiffness and can therefore be actually heavier, hence the reason for the heavier feeling GLX. Heavier walled rods are more durable, just like comparing similar weighted brandy snifters to heavier walled beer glasses. Which would survive being dropped best? Thin, heavy wall blanks equal less warranty work.
    I don't know if you've handled any of the Feathers but it's one of those blanks where there's a step change in OD in the butt section (maybe last 1/4 of the length). It's not like a BS706 or something where it's just a gradual taper to a 3/4" OD at the butt.