Skirts Best Way To Attach

I do not like the collars skirts come with. There has been multiple collars that have rotted while in my storage box.

What is the best way to attach skirts to spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, etc.. I can use thread then put super glue on the thread or wire tie skirts.

2. Member
    Just what you suggested...wire or thread.

3. Member
    Craft wire does a great job just don't pull to hard & cut the skirt material. You can also get o rings at the nearest auto parts store & use them. Get some pliers for castrating calves & put oring or a skirt collar on it the spread open & pull skirt material through. Works a lot like the naked bait skirt tool this way. & quick too. Ot the old tried & true half of a ball point pen with collars or o rings on it & take a paper clip & pull material into it & roll of collar onto skirt.

4. Scraps
    I def like wire or braid. I carry some craft copper around for this purpose. Just wrap 'em up and then cut the collars off.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I’ll use the collars just to hold the skirt in place, then wrap with either braid or wire and cut the collar off when I’m done. Haven’t had one come off yet. The o rings work great too.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I've use braided line for years to secure spinnerbait and jig skirts. Just tie a snug square knot around the skirt and then wrap it 6 times or so and then two more square knots. Cut the tag ends, and the skirt will remain in place for as long as you have the lure.

7. Member
    I use the collar to hold the skirt in place. I strip the insulation off of 10AWG THHN stranded building wire and using the individual wire strands to tie with. 19 individual strands so a 6' piece would give you over 100' of tie wire. If you have any electrician friends they could probably get you some scrap pieces.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    Floral wire from a big box store is cheap and easy to use. Wire twisting pliers make it quick and easy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch...BoCeSYQAvD_BwE

I wire tie all of mine. I then cut rubber collar off once I wrap skirt with wire

This but I use old gray phone cord. The wire seems to be the perfect size for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    I use the collar to hold the skirt in place. I strip the insulation off of 10AWG THHN stranded building wire and using the individual wire strands to tie with. 19 individual strands so a 6' piece would give you over 100' of tie wire. If you have any electrician friends they could probably get you some scrap pieces.

11. Member
    Get tiny zipties and zip them on. Put the latch on the "bottom" not in the hook throat area. Quick and cheap.

12. Member
    22 gauge craft wire is what I use. The hook barb will rust off before the wire gives.

Allen

13. Member
    I use Coats and Clark extra strong upholstery thread for most of my skirts. You can find it at Michaels or Jo Ann Fabrics. Lots of colors. Used wire in the past, but like this better. Easier and stronger. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I use Coats and Clark extra strong upholstery thread for most of my skirts. You can find it at Michaels or Jo Ann Fabrics. Lots of colors. Used wire in the past, but like this better. Easier and stronger. My opinion.
    Do you put it in a bobbin with multiple wraps and the whip finish it?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Do you put it in a bobbin with multiple wraps and the whip finish it?
    I tie with thread a lot of the time, especially if I'm tying something that has 2 or 3 strands of a color on each side. I prefer Danville 210 denier flat waxed nylon thread in a bobbin. I find it lays flatter than upholstery thread so it doesn't build up as high. I finish it with 4 opposing half hitches and seal the wraps with brush on superglue.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I tie with thread a lot of the time, especially if I'm tying something that has 2 or 3 strands of a color on each side. I prefer Danville 210 denier flat waxed nylon thread in a bobbin. I find it lays flatter than upholstery thread so it doesn't build up as high. I finish it with 4 opposing half hitches and seal the wraps with brush on superglue.
    Once in a blue moon I’ll tie a few hair jigs with a bobbin but tie all my silicon with craft wire. Even when using a few strands of accent. Just wondered what his process was as I’ve never used upholstery thread.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Once in a blue moon I’ll tie a few hair jigs with a bobbin but tie all my silicon with craft wire. Even when using a few strands of accent. Just wondered what his process was as I’ve never used upholstery thread.
    Even when I used upholstery thread I put it on a spool that would fit my bobbin and finished with opposing half hitches and sealed with brush on super glue.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Thanks Bryan.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Even when I used upholstery thread I put it on a spool that would fit my bobbin and finished with opposing half hitches and sealed with brush on super glue.
    As this, bobbin and half hitches. You'll need to load the thread onto a spool that will fit your bobbin. Don't use any glue. Never had one come loose. Less thread (wraps) is better. The hand tied jigs like Shooter Jigs use thread and only a few wraps. Don't know if he is making those anymore.