Bull Shoals Lake

Fishing pretty tough right now. Catching a couple keepers each time out in the last week or so but nothing to write home about. Catching mostly Smallies in 30' to 35' of water. A few Largemouth but zero Spots. Some caught on Drop Shot, some on jig, some on Brushhog. But most on the Ned Rig.

Here's a pic of a skinny 19" Smallie that weighed onlt 2.1#. For 19" this fish should have weighed close to 4#.

I just got through weighing the fish when he said he wanted a pic.
    0C48C38C-D3AA-4DC9-A2DB-23E48E6018C8.jpeg
    Last edited by BrownTrout; 08-17-2022 at 08:49 AM.

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Dang Jim, I figured you were wearing them out and were so busy you didn't have time to show pics. I finally got to sneak out and fish last weekend. We caught a dozen or so bass, one about 4 and a half. The gar were hitting pretty good too, we caught (well hung) 6.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Dang Jim, I figured you were wearing them out and were so busy you didn't have time to show pics. I finally got to sneak out and fish last weekend. We caught a dozen or so bass, one about 4 and a half. The gar were hitting pretty good too, we caught (well hung) 6.
    I had neck surgery in March. Couldn't go back to the lake for 90 days. Then I popped a biceps muscle in June just a couple days before I was cleared to fish again. Then came the heat wave with temps over 100 degrees. But now (finally) I'm back.

Here's a better pic than the one I posted above. Been awhile since I've posted pics, all of which seem to be larger than what BBC allows.
    73-B99142-AEAE-4-A9-A-B379-707-DA7-FECBF8.jpg

4. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Remembered the neck surgery, didn't know about bicep, glad to see you are back at it.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

I can't catch a smallmouth on Table Rock right now, but a buddy of mine has caught several and he is saying the same thing, that they are skinny. Table Rock bite has gotten a lot slower in the last week. I am ready for some November cold weather fishing, August and September are my two least favorite months for fishing.

Glad to hear you are back on the water, Jim! I need to make a trip back up that way. I sure miss catching brown fish.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    Heading back out on Bull in the morning. Weatherman says it'll be cooler, but with a bluebird sky all day. Wind out of the east of course. Fish will likely be more confused than I'll be. I'm kinda like Jeff, except Jul and Aug are my least favorite months to fish.

Aaron, a 1.5# smallie pulls like a 5# largemouth. Spots are almost as much fun as the smallies. Hope to catch all three tomorrow.