New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Touch screen on HDS Carbon's

I have 2 HDS Carbons one on the bow and one on the console, the bow one works flawlessly but the one on the console sometimes seems to freeze up and the touch doesn't work almost to the point where sometimes I have to restart it to get it going again. Any tips on what to try or check ?? Doesn't do it all the time but it's a pain when it does...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    First thing to try is a hard reset (save your waypoints if not connected by an ethernet cable to your bow Carbon). If that doesn't solve the problem then switch the Carbons to see if the problem follows the unit, or is a result of one of the cables. Also try removing any SD cards in the unit that freezes and see if the freezing stops.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    ok thanks will give those recomendations a try

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    If you have 2 units connected by ethernet and NEMA do you have to disconnect one unit before doing a hard reset to the other one ???

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    If you have 2 units connected by ethernet and NEMA do you have to disconnect one unit before doing a hard reset to the other one ???
    I am told you do not need to disconnect network cables, BUT, I have never actually done this so have no first-hand knowledge. Theoretically it should not matter, but I can't verify this. Maybe Team Colibri or NoCAL know for sure.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    This is a question I have had for years!! Not a huge deal to unhook the two cables, but if you don't have to disconnect the nema and ethernet cables it would make it easier for a hard reset out on the water. Thank you for asking.
    Hans Deters

1996 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

7. Member
    Hard reset only impacts the unit you do it on, nothing in the network.
    But with that said, I always power my other MFDs down before resetting any MFD. That way all waypoints are synched back to the one i reset automatically after the reset, when I power the other MFDs back on.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thank you for that response I did and it really seem to help everything worked as it should on the water the last few times I've been out

9. Scraps
    Other info, there is a screen recalibration process. Though under identical symptoms with the screen recal did not solve my issue. Sounds like I'll try a hard reset. Mine the STANDBY function seems to have a hard time working with touch. Some of the screen sequences are different than my Gen 3s, like the edit overlay.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I had tried the screen recalibration a few times but really didn't cure the problem but hard reset did.

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I had tried the screen recalibration a few times but really didn't cure the problem but hard reset did.
    Same here and I just did the hard reset and appears to have solved the touch issue. That was %$#$ frustrating being out on the water, hot and cursing my fingers.
    2017 Phoenix 819

12. Member
    Glad it worked for you guys. A hard reset fixes a lot of problems like rebooting your smart phone or computer. Since Lowrance made it easy to install overlay data I really don't mind setting up all my favorite screens after a hard reset like I would in the past with earlier models.
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Glad it worked for you guys. A hard reset fixes a lot of problems like rebooting your smart phone or computer. Since Lowrance made it easy to install overlay data I really don't mind setting up all my favorite screens after a hard reset like I would in the past with earlier models.
    I did hear on YT where if you save your settings you could very well reload the glitch that's causing your issue? But I'm like you, resetting my screens doesn't take that long and does give you some practice.
    2017 Phoenix 819

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I did hear on YT where if you save your settings you could very well reload the glitch that's causing your issue? But I'm like you, resetting my screens doesn't take that long and does give you some practice.
    Exactly krindgen. A hard reset undoes everything the user could possibly do (apart from softwareupdates), as well as clear out "overdue" files after updates or old equipment like Marc mentioned. So if the user imports the old settings again, they could end up importing the root-cause of the problem as well. :)
    But one can test that pretty easily. Test the unit after the hard reset, if it works well import settings. If that leads to issues, simply do another hard reset and set up from scratch.

Back in the day when I tested new software for Navico (before I left as prostaff) I would have several versions of the software to be released on memorycards, update, hard reset, test, load new software, hard reset, test and repeat over and over again. Since such testing should not be done with any old settings, I got to set up my units so many times I could probably do it blind-folded now. :D