What would cause this bracket to break?

What would cause the bracket to break here? This is a double axle trailer and I noticed it was broke when I was replacing the seal on a vault hub. This is a 2017 trailer for a 22 ft multi species boat. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erie660; 08-17-2022 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Add information

2. mikesxpress
    Improper welding.
    Remove bracket from frame taking care not to remove material from the base channel. Weld install new bracket. Prime/paint

3. Member
    X2
    Clean up the frame and put a good weld on it, no more troubles.

4. Member
    Obviously the weld is crap, but bracket may have fractured when bent in jig. Do what Mike says and you will be better than new.

5. Member
    I agree bad weld.

6. Member
    I see it's a "U" shaped bracket. How's the other side? I had an opinion until I read Digthemup's post about weakened in forming, and I agree because the remainder of the bracket is still securely welded to the frame.

7. Member
    bracket needs to be removed and replaced - you need to remove any old weld down to bright shiny steel. I'm sure the factory tried to weld through the mill scale which in perfect conditions is possible, but from what I've seen they rarely are successful. grind the welds off of the bracket so you can take it somewhere (fab shop or steel supplier) and get a replacement. weld the sides back on and stay 1/2 inch from the ends. If you can get a 1/4 weld bead on one pass that is good. If not make another pass. weld the ends and stay 1/4 inch away from the edges.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    bracket needs to be removed and replaced - you need to remove any old weld down to bright shiny steel. I'm sure the factory tried to weld through the mill scale which in perfect conditions is possible, but from what I've seen they rarely are successful. grind the welds off of the bracket so you can take it somewhere (fab shop or steel supplier) and get a replacement. weld the sides back on and stay 1/2 inch from the ends. If you can get a 1/4 weld bead on one pass that is good. If not make another pass. weld the ends and stay 1/4 inch away from the edges.

I see what you're saying, but the factory welds are still there and appear to be in good shape. The bracket is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but the factory welds are still there and appear to be in good shape. The bracket is broken.
    Thats what I'm seeing.
    Some more pictures from different angles would be nice.
    From that angle--looks to me like someone tried to pry the U bracket off the frame and it broke right in front of the weld.
    Regardless of what happened -- it needs replaced.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s input. I took the trailer to a spring and axle shop that I’m familiar with and ended up replacing both equalizers, bushings and 2 new hanger brackets, springs were still in good shape. This trailer was made by Ranger in 2017 for a Triton and been a headache. I have heard that they no longer make their own trailers which is probably good.