Gains from On the run chargers

I recently switched to lithiums (50AH) and pushed them to the limit first time out. This got me thinking about on the run chargers or combiners like the Yandina troll bridge. Realizing that it will depend on how much running around one does with the big motor but for people who have them how much of a gain have they made: 5%, 10% added run time? Curious to know. Tks.

2. Member
    I've been curious about this as well. I've read a few articles and/or watched videos where guys are out 2-3 days before dropping below 60% on 100ah 36v systems.

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'm going to assume that you are on the St Lawrence..... I had 50Ah lithiums when I lived in the Ottawa Valley and they were fine for several days worth of fishing the local puddles. When we moved down to the St Lawrence, I was able to drain those in 6-7 hrs without a whole lot of difficulty so I added a Power Pole Charge to see if that would help. It did help a little in that I get a 7-8 hr day out of them and that would cover most of the days I fish but there was no comfort level and I ended up replacing the 50Ah ones with 100Ah ones - the St Lawrence is not a place where one wants to run out of trolling motor juice. Most of the runs I make on the big engine are 5 mins or less so the trollers would get a bit of a top up from the PP Charge but not a whole bunch.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akropinski View Post
    I recently switched to lithiums (50AH) and pushed them to the limit first time out. This got me thinking about on the run chargers or combiners like the Yandina troll bridge. Realizing that it will depend on how much running around one does with the big motor but for people who have them how much of a gain have they made: 5%, 10% added run time? Curious to know. Tks.
    There is the variable in the equation. Run time.

Any motor having an electrical generation system can recharge any size battery, given enough time.

Different models of motors have different electrical generation systems that provide different electrical outputs. For the same time period, one model motor might be able to charge the same size battery in half the time.

For some folks, the greater the time the battery is being used results in less motor run time. On the other hand, folks that have a greater run time might use their battery less. Bass ackwards from what is desired.

This also depends on other factors like the number of amps your motor can put out
    The speed at which you make your run because at slower speeds your motor is not putting out the max amps

On the fly chargers are only as good as the amount of power they can draw from

Last is the cost
    A Yandina troll bridge is not that bad but the popular brand is 2 grand
    At that price you could buy larger lithium’s and not ever worry about it again
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    @Boat Buggy, Fish the lake more than the river. Being a smaller boat I don't go out too often when the winds blow. First time out with the 50 AH, I was on 6-7 for most of the day (0630-1600) and was down to 25%. Longer day than normal so hopefully I wont regret the decision for the 50s (almost a reasonable price).

Ack to all about everything being variable. I was hoping to hear from people who actually have a run-charge device and what they were seeing.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    @Boat Buggy, Fish the lake more than the river. Being a smaller boat I don't go out too often when the winds blow. First time out with the 50 AH, I was on 6-7 for most of the day (0630-1600) and was down to 25%. Longer day than normal so hopefully I wont regret the decision for the 50s (almost a reasonable price).

Ack to all about everything being variable. I was hoping to hear from people who actually have a run-charge device and what they were seeing.
    25% left will probably give you another hour of fishing so you're probably fine. Just be aware that lithiums will give you full power - until they don't. If there is no app involved to let you know the state of charge, there is no "warning" they are getting low like there is with a lead acid or AGM where you start needing to put the TM on a higher setting to go the same speed. I still have the PP Charge (I got it free for helping someone out) but with the 100Ah lithiums I probably don't need it anymore.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    For the price of a PP Charge it may be better to get larger batteries and a 'conventional' lithium charger.

There is zero need for on the run charger for TM batteries. 100 amp lithium will never run down in a day.

While I don't run Lithium's, I do run the Troll Bridge. They do make one for Lithium's though. Mine are Sealed Lead Acid. I've gone 3-days and never plugged the charger in at night. AND, have never had the big motor not start or not have enough charge for the TM. PLUS, it's a hell of a lot less in cost !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Stealth 1 AC/DC system, helps with my batteries. But I will usually make at least 1 15-20 minute run every couple hours. If on the Delta, can run 1/2 hour out and back but usually don't have to run that much. With the AC part of it, I know I can completely charge up everything when I get home. Super easy install too.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    There are many ways to skin a cat. The simple thing is to get big(100AH or better Lithium) and never worry about a days fishing or how low your batteries get. Lead acid makes sense only if cost is the issue.(even if in the long run Lithium will be cheaper). If you go on multiple day trips and can’t charge then the charge on the run options make sense if you have long enough outboard runs. Of course you will probably need to get more gas anyway. A generator makes sense for that situation. I had many years when I made choices because of cash on hand. If you can pay the freight get big lithiums. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    There is zero need for on the run charger for TM batteries. 100 amp lithium will never run down in a day.
    Trolling cranks on big windy water in a deep V high side full wind shield walleye boat...you can;)

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    Trolling cranks on big windy water in a deep V high side full wind shield walleye boat...you can;)
    What motor, voltage and batteries. How many hours? I probably don’t have the stamina to stay out that long! At 12 hours running 2 MPH the entire time(Lund 2025 pro-V) 45% left in the 3 100 Ah Relion batteries running my 112 Ulterra pulling cranks. Moderate chop 1 to 2’. I was 100% done and didn’t look at the batteries till the next day and plugged in the charger. I(the batteries) was at 100% when I left the dock the day before. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 08-18-2022 at 07:27 PM. Reason: I was not 100% but the charge was

15. Member
    Akropinski, I hope you are not getting too much info. You got some of the point when you said there were too many variables. The point is your vessel, your trolling motor voltage matters, your trolling speed, the current and or wind conditions all effect run time. The length of time your generator is running time matters.The capacity of your alternator to put out amps. The information you are getting is general, but that is all others can tell you. It sounds like you need to get more power to do some kind of charge on the run unit. You already have the 50’s so go for something if you are making some runs during the day. The other way to go might be more effective (sell the 50’s and go 100’s) I think the fancier charge system will rival the price of the big batteries.
    Definitely not a simple decision. Bob

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    What motor, voltage and batteries. How many hours? I probably don’t have the stamina to stay out that long! At 12 hours running 2 MPH the entire time(Lund 2025 pro-V) 45% left in the 3 100 Ah Relion batteries running my 112 Ulterra pulling cranks. Moderate chop 1 to 2’. I was 100% done and didn’t look at the batteries till the next day and plugged in the charger. I(the batteries) was at 100% when I left the dock the day before. Bob
    A friends boat Lund Barron, 4 guys, down riggers,mud flats on LOW 36-72"volt minnkota,he said they were 100ah Dakota lithiums.

17. Member
    That is a bit more sluggish and heavy(with 4 guy’s as well). Hard to put a number on it, but certainly would use more juice. If he had a 100% charge to start with I doubt 40% more though. That is a heavy load for electric only. I might turn the kicker on against the wind. If one battery is lower than the rest to start the day that could be an explanation.(charger problem) Anyway it is something to ponder if that situation is what you are dealing with. Batteries don’t have endless storage. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 08-19-2022 at 07:30 PM.