Optimax starting issue?

I have an '08 90hp optimax and am having intermittent starting. The motor doesn't even try to turn over and trim doesn't work until I disconnect the starting battery and reconnect. Then trim works until I try to turn the key to run at which point I hear a "click" and lose power to trim. If I don't connect the steering panel power (main 12V bus, gauges, etc.) the motor turns over and everything seems fine.

Whenever I hear the "click" I have to disconnect and reconnect the starting wires to get trim to come back. My best guess is that this is a faulty kill switch. Does that seem right? I'm having trouble finding clear info on the starting sequence for my motor. Also, I load tested the battery and checked all fuses under the cowling and all were fine.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by khigh37; 08-16-2022 at 11:48 PM.

2. Member
    eliminate boat as source of problem , obtain a remote key harness for test ,i feel you have wiring problem in boat not mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................