Powerpole charge possibly killed 2005 Yamaha hpdi 225hp stater

Noticed my powerpole charge was not charging while the Yamaha hpdi was running. Mechanic looked at it. Tested the stater. It is going bad. He said yamaha says that the stater rarely fails. We ordered a rectifier. Installed the part. Not the issue. Mechanic thinks it may be the powerpole charger killing the stater. Anyone else heard this or have had this issue?
    Last edited by mvanosdale; 08-16-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp

2. Member
    Lighting coils just up and die at times. I am not seeing the Power pole charge as being related.

3. Member
    I would question the mechanic. Why? Because he replaced the R/R without first having verified the lighting coils as being the no charge issue.

4. Member
    He’s a good mechanic. He’s not convinced it’s the charge. He’s wanting to confirm with powerpole that the issue is not a result of me adding it onto the boat. Trying to eliminate the variables. I am knowing my BAD luck and am expecting that it is. That’s why I posted to hopefully get piece of mind that the charge shouldn’t cause any kind of failure with the hpdi’s charging system. I love the charge but worst case scenarios typically happen to me. The last thing I want it to be is the charge. I hope the stator failed because of age and not because of the charge

is the lightning coils what he is calling the stator?
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp

5. Member
    A Yamaha stator can be comprised of one or more different components. Yamaha refers to the coils within a stator that generate and provide electricity to the rectifier/regulator as the lighting coils. Term originating from electricity that was generated to power some lights on the boat I suppose.

To the Yamaha HPDI's electrical generation system, the Charge is just an electrical load. Like so many other devices (electrical loads) that the Yamaha system is providing electrical power to. All the stator/lighting coils know to do is to provide AC power to the rectifier/regulator. The R/R converts the AC to DC and regulates the output voltage. The HPDI generation system has no way of knowing what the various electrical loads may be. Current can be flowing from the R/R to many different electrical loads at one time. The Charge just being one of many. It is all the same to the HPDI generation system.

Stator/lighting coils have no moving parts in and of themselves. For the most part they are very reliable. However, the stator/lighting coils produce heat and are sitting upon the top of a hot engine block. The block is vibrating like crazy in use. Wear and tear takes its toll. Stuff just wears out.

6. Member
    Spoke with powerpole this morning. They see no reason that’s the charge has any correlation between the PP charge and the stator failure. They are confident in that, so I am relieved. Now have to get the motor charging system running again.
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp