Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine Temps and PSI concerns

2015 Ranger Z118 with Optimax 150 PROSX (120hrs) - Serial number 2B110063

I recently got a 6 beep alarm when out on the lake, I took it to an authorized dealer to scan the alarm. They stated it was an over heat alarm and we changed out the impellor and two thermostats. I went to test the boat yesterday and the alarm is gone but I'm concerned with the numbers in getting on my vesselview mobile.

Water temp:75
    Air Temp 90

550RPM Idle NOT in gear: 1.7-2.1 PSI with a temp of 153 degrees
    1100 RPM in gear: 4.7-5.5 PSI with a temp of 150-185
    WOT: 7-9PSI with a temp of 100-110(WOT to get on plane, NOT WOT at 5500RPM...Not sure the PSI AT 5500RPM)

Do these numbers seem ok? 185 seems high to me and 7-9 PSI seems low. Thoughts?

Can someone also help me with a part number for the service manual for this year and model motor?
    Last edited by allIdoIsfish; 08-16-2022 at 04:12 PM.

2. Member
    I believe the Temps at idle should be around 132 or less. The temp at 1100 rpm is high as well. Don will chime in with his expert knowledge.

3. Member
    The wot psi is very low, even more so with a new impeller. I believe your motor has a warmer strainer for the compressor water supply, would be a good idea to check it. Don or Joe will be able to help with service manual info and temp info too. But something isn’t right.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    seem ok = no sir , were all 3 gaskets replaced when w/p was done , 8m0057453 for manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    6 beeps is not an overheat alarm, a solid tone is, and it can come from either the engine cooling system OR the compressor.

Was your telltale present and strong? If the compressor strainer is plugged it will starve the compressor for coolant and cause an overheat alarm.

There are only two specifications for water pressure at idle it should be 1 - 3psi and WOT it should be 12+psi. There are no specifications for anything in between. Likewise, coolant temperatures will vary depending upon lake surface temp/load/engine demand so there is no "normal".

The 2.5L Optimax has 143° thermostats which is when they begin to open, so idle temps (in or out of gear makes no difference) in the low to mid-150s is normal.

If your dealer didn't also replace all 3 gaskets when servicing your water pump that may still be the source of your low water pressure problem - Water Pump Replacement

Engine needs to be scanned to determine what caused the 6 beep alarm.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    6 beeps is not an overheat alarm, a solid tone is, and it can come from either the engine cooling system OR the compressor.

Was your telltale present and strong? If the compressor strainer is plugged it will starve the compressor for coolant and cause an overheat alarm.

There are only two specifications for water pressure at idle it should be 1 - 3psi and WOT it should be 12+psi. There are no specifications for anything in between. Likewise, coolant temperatures will vary depending upon lake surface temp/load/engine demand so there is no "normal".

The 2.5L Optimax has 143° thermostats which is when they begin to open, so idle temps (in or out of gear makes no difference) in the low to mid-150s is normal.

If your dealer didn't also replace all 3 gaskets when servicing your water pump that may still be the source of your low water pressure problem - Water Pump Replacement

Engine needs to be scanned to determine what caused the 6 beep alarm.
    yeah I always thought an overheat was a solid alarm. That’s why I’m questioning this repair.. are you saying that a 6 beep can be coming from cooling system or compressor?

the telltale is decently strong but I recall it use to be stronger. Is it 12+psi at WOT at any given RPM?

All 3 gaskets were replaced, I just spoke with the dealer and they stated there was minor grooving in the impellor housing but is fine until next season so they didnt replace it!

Do you know at what temp the guardian horn is activated?
    Last edited by allIdoIsfish; 08-17-2022 at 03:17 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    seem ok = no sir , were all 3 gaskets replaced when w/p was done , 8m0057453 for manual
    what temp and psi would you say is in spec?

8. Member
    personally i dont like it under 15 at wot , book say 12 in a long turn seen um drop too low , 1-3 at idle is okay
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    personally i dont like it under 15 at wot , book say 12 in a long turn seen um drop too low , 1-3 at idle is okay
    Sorry what do you mean "in a long turn seen um drop too low"?

10. Member
    seen w/p drop in turn because of engine height

11. Member
    seen w/p drop in turn because of engine height
    This engine doesnt have a hydralic jackplate and i havent adjusted the height at all, I use to get 12+ at WOT but recently its only been 8PSI. Im waiting for those rounded zipties that i have on order so i can check the strainer.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by allIdoIsfish View Post
    2015 Ranger Z118 with Optimax 150 PROSX (120hrs) - Serial number 2B110063

I recently got a 6 beep alarm when out on the lake, I took it to an authorized dealer to scan the alarm. They stated it was an over heat alarm and we changed out the impellor and two thermostats. I went to test the boat yesterday and the alarm is gone but I'm concerned with the numbers in getting on my vesselview mobile.

Water temp:75
    Air Temp 90

550RPM Idle NOT in gear: 1.7-2.1 PSI with a temp of 153 degrees
    1100 RPM in gear: 4.7-5.5 PSI with a temp of 150-185
    WOT: 7-9PSI with a temp of 100-110(WOT to get on plane, NOT WOT at 5500RPM...Not sure the PSI AT 5500RPM)

Do these numbers seem ok? 185 seems high to me and 7-9 PSI seems low. Thoughts?

Can someone also help me with a part number for the service manual for this year and model motor?
    My #s are roughly the same on VVM except for WOT. I get 15+ PSI at 5000rpms. What fault code did your VVM show? 6 beep code should be either low oil in on engine tank or water in fuel, IIRC. I recently had an overheat due to clogged strainer and it was single long siren. Also, have had 6 beep due to bad oil tank sensor. VVM showed both.
    Last edited by BarryFL; 08-17-2022 at 11:18 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    My #s are roughly the same on VVM except for WOT. I get 15+ PSI at 5000rpms. What fault code did your VVM show? 6 beep code should be either low oil in on engine tank or water in fuel, IIRC. I recently had an overheat due to clogged strainer and it was single long siren. Also, have had 6 beep due to bad oil tank sensor. VVM showed both.
    The dealer didn't provide me the fault code, and they seem to be either not educated with proper in spec values or do subpar work and BS alot. I called them today and they said 8PSI at WOT was plenty

Ill be checking the strainer once i can go pick up some PTFE paste.

What PSI are you getting when trying to get up on plane at WOT but below 5000RPM?

14. Member
    Does anyone know if Vessel View Mobile will show the fault code? Every time I try to view the code it says Invalid Software Version?Attachment 498361
    Last edited by allIdoIsfish; 08-17-2022 at 02:08 PM.

15. Member
    good dont move it ,,strainer not the problem all it does is filter water to compressor

16. Member
    good dont move it ,,strainer not the problem all it does is filter water to compressor
    The strainer wouldn’t affect the WOT PSI?

17. Member
    no , all it does is keep trash outa compressor cooling system , mabe if hose was off spraying massive amount of water flooding cowling then it wouldnt even run right

18. Member
    last 2 lines in post number 5 , always start at pump for cooling problems ,,,,,,,, always

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by allIdoIsfish View Post
    The dealer didn't provide me the fault code, and they seem to be either not educated with proper in spec values or do subpar work and BS alot. I called them today and they said 8PSI at WOT was plenty

Ill be checking the strainer once i can go pick up some PTFE paste.

What PSI are you getting when trying to get up on plane at WOT but below 5000RPM?
    If you have VVM, you should be able to see the fault codes in it. VVM retains the codes, even after fault is cleared, unless you deleted it.

I get ~2PSI at idle. 5 at 1000-1100. 10+ at 3500 (getting on plane) and 15+ above 5000rpms. Basically about 3PSI per 1000rpms above idle but its not linear.

I have the OEM repair manual. I will look at specs when I get home.

20. Member
    last 2 lines in post number 5 , always start at pump for cooling problems ,,,,,,,, always
    Impeller and 3 gasket were replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast