Legit design rods.

Has anyone had the chance to try out these rods in the stand out or wild side series? Any info would be great.

2. Member
    They are super popular in Japan. I don't think they have had much penetration in the US yet.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

3. Member
    I saw a link for them on tackle warehouse, look pretty solid.

4. Member
    I have the 72H+. It's mag heavy stick that can throw 4 oz swimbaits. Despite weighing only 5.3 oz it is rather tip heavy and is a tip down rod for me. I use it as a kayak big bait stick because the short length makes it easier to work seated in a kayak. I wouldn't use it from the bass boat other than glide baits for the short length and light weight when working glides.

5. Member
    I've got the Wild Side 6'1" light spinning rod and really like it. I don't use spinning rods a lot but this one really fits me well. I plan on giving it a pretty good workout this weekend actually

6. Member
    I've got the Wild Side 6"10" Solid Tip ML and it compares very favorably to my EG Orion Lightning Strikes and my Sedition Cristobal Limited for a lot less money. In addition, I'm very interested in how it will compare to my new Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 611M+ that I'm expecting to arrive next Monday.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like rod balance pictures of the Wild Side 6'10" Solid Tip ML in comparison to these other high-end JDM rods and I can provide them when I am at my lake cabin early next week sir.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

7. Member
    Thankyou so much fellas!! Appreciate the feedback and great info. I purchased the 6’6 stand out l+ casting and the 6’10 l+ casting wild side for my alphas air and gekkabijin. The medium light 6’10 was going to be next on my list either that or the 6’10 medium.

8. Member
    City17banner what are you using with that 6’10ml solid tip? Curious about its action and sensitivity

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    They are super popular in Japan. I don't think they have had much penetration in the US yet.
    Define "super popular" lol. They're at best a niche mid-tier rod line in Japan, and way overpriced for what they're selling for on TW right now.

I had the 6'9L+ and the 610M - decent rods but I got them with a steep discount before TW started carrying them. They are not better blanks or components than the Exprides in any way.

10. Member
    Are they too legit? Too legit to quit?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

11. Member
    Did you say Hammer Time???

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    City17banner what are you using with that 6’10ml solid tip? Curious about its action and sensitivity
    To answer your question, I have a Shimano 21 Antares DC mounted on the 6'10ML+ since that is my "standard" casting reel and I was fortunate enough to find and win a great eBay auction for multiple spools of 14# YGK SS112 sinking braid/super ester line so that is what I have on the rod currently and it does a great job of presenting the 1/8oz Okashira Screwhead jig with a 3" Hazedong or Spark Shad trailer for trophy smallmouth bass in the NW Wisconsin water I frequent. It also does a fairly good job with my "swimming" drop shot rigs as well and I would rate the action as slower than my RD Steez Shallow Cover Finesse ML+, my Destroyer X7 SE ML, or my Sedition Cristobal ML, and comparable with my EG Orion Lightning Strike ML+. Sensitivity is an interesting proposition for this rod since it has a solid graphite tip, it's more sensitive than the EG Orion Lightning Strike and comparable to the other rods but it has less power than all the other rods again due to the solid graphite tip.

It might be worth discussing the topic of the solid graphite tip further as that was the main reason, I selected this specific Legit Design Wild Side rod for inclusion in my ML/ML+ rod collection. I'm fortunate enough to own two "types" of solid tip casting rods (I also own many JDM solid tip LRF spinning rods as well), the first is the Titanium Stinger/SMT type which consists of a solid Titanium tip that is grafted onto the graphite rod blank, and these can be found in my Daiwa Steez Racing Design Super Metal Top rods and on my last generation Luxxe Oltre B70H rod. The other type of solid tip is where a solid graphite tip is grafted onto the graphite rod blank and this type of solid tip is found on my two Raid Japan Gladiator Maximum casting rods: the Bishop and the Maxx, as well as this specific Legit Design Wild Side 610ML+ rod.

It has been reported that solid tip rods tend to be more sensitive but more brittle and prone to rod breakage because of the solid tip than non-solid tip rods. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have owned my solid tip casting and spinning rods for eight seasons of smallmouth bass fishing now and haven't experienced any rod breakage or challenges with any of my rods during the course of fishing with them. Please note that I choose to net or hand land all of my fish and all rods are stored in Rod Gloves inside of my bass boat rod lockers when not in active use. In addition, my severe OCD doesn't allow me to have more than two rods out on my front casting deck at any given time while actually fishing so issues with stepping on the rods while fishing and fighting fish are significantly reduced as well.

Do I find that solid tip rods are more sensitive than non-solid tip rods? The answer from my on-the-water experience is that the solid Titanium/SMT tip rods are indeed more sensitive when compared to other similar non-solid tip rods, while the solid graphite tip rods may be less sensitive than comparable non-solid tip rods. Let's also address the elephant in the room regarding why there are two different types of solid tip rods that I own and have fished with. It's simply that the solid Titanium tip rods cost more and are usually halo or special products from the JDM rod manufacturers that make them, so they also possess better quality graphite roving and resin pre-preg materials for the rod blanks as well as better core rod components such as AGS or Fuji Torzite rod guides.

That is to say, that the Legit Design Wild Side 610ML+ is at the end of the day a value-added rod when compared to such luminary rods as Daiwa Steez Racing Design rods, Megabass Destroyer X7 rods, and the Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 611ML+ that is currently on the way from Japan to my doorstep. Having said all that, the Legit Design Wild Side 610ML+ is still a great rod and easily makes the cut when compared with these other high-end JDM casting rods from both a sensitivity and taper perspective.

As always, please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns about the solid tip on the Legit Design Wild Side 610ML+ rod and I will do my best to address them in a timely manner.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

13. Member
    Such in-depth info that hits the nail on the head for me. That solid tip action is great for those finesse applications and I do agree about the sensitivity portion you mentioned.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Such in-depth info that hits the nail on the head for me. That solid tip action is great for those finesse applications and I do agree about the sensitivity portion you mentioned.
    You are correct sir! It always seems like my solid tip casting rods are "too slow" and struggling to cast light finesse lures and then I realized I've just made an 85ft cast and now I'm overly concerned about whether I have enough power to set the hook on trophy smallmouth bass from that extreme distance!

To have such silly 1st world problems!

Please have a great day!