Thread: Engine Height

Engine Height

I just took a straight edge and put it on top of the cavitation plate to see where it would hit on the boat. It showed about 1" above the bottom of the boat. The engine is mounted in the top hole so any change would actually move the engine even higher. Is this measurement OK?
    If so, since I can't move the engine to the 3rd hole, would it still be beneficial to change the prop to the Spitfire X7?
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Ultrex 80lb 52” iPilot Link
    Bow Mount Humminbird Helix 10
    Cockpit Mount Humminbird Helix 9
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

2. Member
    Level the motor cavitation plate with the running surface of the boat. Then take a measurement from the running surface of the boat to the centerline of the prop shaft. That will give a better measure of where the motor is at. Then report back.

3. Member
    I'm confused. Your motor is in the top hole and your cavitation plate is 1" above the bottom. Is it the bottom of the hull or the bottom of the step? Why can't you move the engine higher? The Tracker 175, 190, and 195 have a running step for greater lift and a 22.25" transom, so I'd have the cavitation plate even with the top of the step.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    It will run best with a stainless prop and the motor in the 3rd hole from the top.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Level the motor cavitation plate with the running surface of the boat. Then take a measurement from the running surface of the boat to the centerline of the prop shaft. That will give a better measure of where the motor is at. Then report back.
    I cannot level the cavitation plate with the running surface as i do not have a jackplate. The cavitation plate is where it is when the engine is trimmed down and the cavitation plate level to the ground.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I'm confused. Your motor is in the top hole and your cavitation plate is 1" above the bottom. Is it the bottom of the hull or the bottom of the step? Why can't you move the engine higher? The Tracker 175, 190, and 195 have a running step for greater lift and a 22.25" transom, so I'd have the cavitation plate even with the top of the step.
    The top of the cavitation plate sits 1" above the bottom of the hull. What is the "step." Why would I want to move it higher if the caviation plate is already 1" abobe the bottom of the hull?
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    It will run best with a stainless prop and the motor in the 3rd hole from the top.
    I've read all the posts suggesting 3rd hole and SS prop. But I'm concerned that I am in the top hole and the top of the cavitation plate is already 1" above the bottom of the hull.. Isnt the engine high enough already?
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

8. Member
    Prop to Pad measurement:
    On a flat surface......level bottom of boat, then level cav plate....measure both to floor, difference is p2p measurement. Starting should be about 4" going smaller to about 3.25" with sea trials.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamokebob View Post
    I've read all the posts suggesting 3rd hole and SS prop. But I'm concerned that I am in the top hole and the top of the cavitation plate is already 1" above the bottom of the hull.. Isnt the engine high enough already?
    No it's too low.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Prop to Pad measurement:
    On a flat surface......level bottom of boat, then level cav plate....measure both to floor, difference is p2p measurement. Starting should be about 4" going smaller to about 3.25" with sea trials.
    Have to run much deeper than that with the small hub motors if you have a jack plate. Mine runs poorly and loses speed anything higher than 5" prop to pad.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Prop to Pad measurement:
    Thank you. This is what I was trying to say above.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Have to run much deeper than that with the small hub motors if you have a jack plate. Mine runs poorly and loses speed anything higher than 5" prop to pad.
    I don't, my al runs best at 4"
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

13. Member
    The top of the cavitation plate sits 1" above the bottom of the hull. What is the "step." Why would I want to move it higher if the caviation plate is already 1" abobe the bottom of the hull?
    The step is a 90 degree inset above the running surface (bottom of the boat). Your cavitation plate should be even with the top of the step (take your finger and run it from the top of the transom until it turns 90 degrees). 1" above the bottom of the boat is too low.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

14. Member
    Sorry but I am still confused. Maybe some pictures will help. In the first picture do I have the top of the step identified coreectly? In the second, am I using the correct plate for the measurement? Is it called an anti-cavitation plate or an anti-ventilation plate?

What measurment should i be looking for and what is the ideal measurement. Should i be measuring top of the anti-cavitation plate to the top of the step? Or like the last picture, gap difference between prop and pad?
    Pad_Step.jpgCavitation.jpgMeasure.jpg
    Last edited by jamokebob; 08-18-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamokebob View Post
    Sorry but I am still confused. Maybe some pictures will help. In the first picture do I have the top of the step identified coreectly? In the second, am I using the correct plate for the measurement? Is it called an ani-cvitation plate or an anti-ventilation plate?

What measurment should i be looking for and what is the ideal measurement. Should i be measuring top of the anti-cavitation plate to the top of the step? Or like the last picture, gap difference between prop and pad?
    Pad_Step.jpgCavitation.jpgMeasure.jpg
    Use the last picture, prop to pad is what everyone goes by, anything else is a pointless measurement. However without a jack plate you can't fine tune your prop to pad anyway so that's not really that important either. The Tracker 175 and 190 hulls both run the best with a stainless prop and the motor in the 3rd hole from the top.