Do I need a 4th battery

I have a 2021 190 TXW. It is equipped with two 27M deep cycle batteries for the Ultrex 24v trolling motor. I also have a 27M starting battery for the engine and electronics including a Helix 10 fishfinder and a Mega 360. I upgraded this battery from a 24M when i added the Mega 360 and changed out the fish finder from a 5" Lowrance to the Helix 10. I will be adding another Helix 9 fishfinder this winter. Do I now need to add a dedicated battery for the two fish finders and Mega 360 or can I just power it from the exsiting starter battery?
    Last edited by jamokebob; 08-15-2022 at 02:54 PM.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Ultrex 80lb 52” iPilot Link
    Bow Mount Humminbird Helix 10
    Cockpit Mount Humminbird Helix 9
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

2. Member
    I had end of day cranking problems with 2-7" Helix plugged into my 27 Interstate. Swapped to 31 Die Hard AGM and no more issues.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Keep it three. Ditch those two batteries for your troller, change one to a single lithium 24V for the troller and make the other one which would otherwise be for the troller, a dedicated electronics only battery. The other will be used strictly for cranking.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

4. Member
    A 10", 9", and 360 doesn't need a dedicated battery imo. Kind of overkill.
    Run what you have, you'll be able to gauge if you need and when you'll need to upsize the main battery.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Just switch to a group 31 starting battery and you will be fine, I run 3 9" graphs off of mine all day without issue.

6. Member
    I'm most concerned with the power draw upon starting the engine. The graph may become damaged if I forget to turn it off. I was thinking the best thing to do would be to add a 4th dedicated electronics battery in the starboard fishing pole locker. I was planning on a Lithium battery but since I am in Arizona and the temperature exceeds 113 sometimes during charging, I changed my plan to an AGM battery.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamokebob View Post
    I'm most concerned with the power draw upon starting the engine. The graph may become damaged if I forget to turn it off. I was thinking the best thing to do would be to add a 4th dedicated electronics battery in the starboard fishing pole locker. I was planning on a Lithium battery but since I am in Arizona and the temperature exceeds 113 sometimes during charging, I changed my plan to an AGM battery.
    Why would the graph get damaged from starting the engine? The worst that could happen is the voltage drops and you get a low voltage alarm on startup. I have a Diehard group 31 lead acid commerical starting battery, and I run 2 Garmin 93sv units, Lowrance Elite 9, Power poles and my livewel on it all day and have no issues cranking the motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Keep it three. Ditch those two batteries for your troller, change one to a single lithium 24V for the troller and make the other one which would otherwise be for the troller, a dedicated electronics only battery. The other will be used strictly for cranking.
    I would love to switch to lithium but.... I live in Arizona where the summertime temperatures exceed the 113 degrees charging max.
    2021 Tracker 190TXW
    Mercury 115 PRO XS
    Mega 360
    Mega Live Target Lock