Thread: MPR going bad

MPR going bad

250XS 0T819123
    Was out fishing a couple of weeks ago and had my oil pump go bad. Replaced and primed but wouldn't start - bad MPR. Yest was out fishing ran back about 30 miles and the boat ran GREAT. Get to the marina and the center engine stalls as i'm backing into slip once tied up went to restart and wouldn't fire - turned over but no fire. After a 12 hour day fishing offshore I didn't check but I'm assuming it's another MPR. If I'm right what could cause them to go bad? Thanks as always Rich

2. Member
    one on each engine almost same time now thats strange for sure
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Coincidence??

4. Member
    Came down to the boat to check the MPR - that’s what it is with now another problem - one of connections on the engine side of the connector is burnt. Can I just change that part of the harness?

5. Member
    What’s a mpr

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    What’s a mpr
    main power relay
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdiesel01 View Post
    Came down to the boat to check the MPR - that’s what it is with now another problem - one of connections on the engine side of the connector is burnt. Can I just change that part of the harness?
    879346A48 sure can , now thats a diffent story about relays going out same day

8. Member
    Thanks once again Joe - the relays didn’t go out on same day - about 2 weeks apart on 2 different motors. PIA

9. Member
    aaaaah

10. Member
    What should i be looking at as to the cause of that connector getting burnt?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Corrosion, especially to grounds and connections on the electrical plate would be a good start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    That’s what I thought. Hate to assume anything

13. Member
    I'm not familar with the "electrical plate" - Where is that located on the engine? Also I just want to say that without all your guys help on this forum there's no way i could keep these engines running and would be at the mercy of the clueless mechanics out there! THANK YOU

14. Member
    and that goes a long way for me, your most welcome sir , that plate is just below the pcm youll see solenoid,relays and some black grnd wires attached to it

15. Member
    Thanks Again

16. Member