Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mercury Vessel View Mobile VS Mercury Smartcraft Guage

Any thoughts on one versus the other? I was told the Vessel View was much cheaper than the Smartcraft Guage when adding to a new boat order. The salesman says the Vessel View will provide all the same data BUT it isn't right there is front of you. Any thoughts on one versus the other? I was told the price difference was roughly ($250 Vessel View Installed vs $900 for a SmartCraft Guage to be installed). Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I have Vessel View and use it primarily for tracking hours and checking for engine codes. If I had SmartCraft I would monitor readings more. If it fits your budget, buy the SmartCraft. IMO
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

3. Member
    I have Vessel View Mobile, and it meets my needs. I only use it when I'm checking engine hours for maintenance purposes.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

4. Member
    Agree with the above. I once used it to check hours but I did use it for rpms when I got a backup prop and wanted to make sure it would not overspeed the engine. I have used it to get GPH to calculate mileage. I normally do not bother to connect it though.

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

I want as much information that I can at all times. I went with a Merecmonitor on every boat I have owned.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I have Smartcraft and it was the way to go for me. I have had mine for 4+ years but was less than $500.

8. Member
    Smartcraft instruments are excellent but VVM is very good for its price point. I use it religiously for engine temp (120 before exceeding 1000 rpm), hours, maintenance reminders, fuel tracking (analog fuel gauge is innacurate). Most importantly, it identifies faults & alerts my preferred mercury service center (European Marine). Don Weed emails me if/ when a fault is observed and provides me troubleshooting advice or tells me what I can/ cannot delay servicing.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I connect my vesselview Mobil every time I start the motor. It has many options you can load on one dashboard on your phone or tablet. I have TEMP, RPM, PSI, GPH, MPH battery.
    I mount my phone with a ram to the dash and I have had no issues with it.
    Lots of videos on youtube of what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Smartcraft instruments are excellent but VVM is very good for its price point. I use it religiously for engine temp (120 before exceeding 1000 rpm), hours, maintenance reminders, fuel tracking (analog fuel gauge is innacurate). Most importantly, it identifies faults & alerts my preferred mercury service center (European Marine). Don Weed emails me if/ when a fault is observed and provides me troubleshooting advice or tells me what I can/ cannot delay servicing.
    Lightning 6 pointed out the main reasons I use it for my boat.

11. Member
    VesselView need cell service to make a good connection is my big downfall with it sometime I can be running on some of the bigger lakes and it will disconnect which it will not show me my data. It does not happen all the time but it does happen and when it do it’s frustrating

VVM on my boat. Its shows all the vitals. My phone mounts on the dash and is easy to see. Best bang for the buck.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I used the Mercury NMEA module linked to my Lowrance network. I see everything on my C12. Waaaaaay cheaper!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Big J Mac View Post
    VesselView need cell service to make a good connection is my big downfall with it sometime I can be running on some of the bigger lakes and it will disconnect which it will not show me my data. It does not happen all the time but it does happen and when it do it’s frustrating

I don't login to my account when I'm on the water. I just connect via Bluetooth and never have a problem.

15. Member
    Another satisfied VVM owner. Works awesome and shows me everything I need while motoring down the lake.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have a Mercmonitor in dash....I prefer that to having to look at a phone in sunlight and risk of loosing overboard....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSharky00 View Post
    I don't login to my account when I'm on the water. I just connect via Bluetooth and never have a problem.
    Yup me too also agree with your post above. VVM is always on the mount to check what is important to me.

18. Member
    I often use an old iphone w/ out cell service for my vvm ….. especially in poor weather.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    I used the Mercury NMEA module linked to my Lowrance network. I see everything on my C12. Waaaaaay cheaper!
    how is this done?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    how is this done?
    For my setup, it took adding the Mercury NMEA 2000 SmartCraft Gateway component. With that installed, I can see a bunch of data on my Humminbird Solix. I also have the VVM for the alerts/maintenance aspect others have already mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast