Water pump issue?

2002 Optimax 225 (#0T482478)
    Motor was starting to overheat at idle and low speeds. It's happened before about 2 years ago and it was a blown pump gasket. Took it apart and it had gasket blown out again. The bottom edge of the impeller was also melted a bit. When I replaced the base plate I noticed that the carrier had actually come up about 1/16th (guessing) of an inch or so which I assume caused the impeller damage. Tapped the carrier back down and replaced everything with the Merc 817275A5 pump kit. All seems to be good now. What could cause the carrier to come up against the bottom of the pump? Should I be looking at another possible problem?

0812221630_HDR.jpg
    0812221630a_HDR.jpg
    0812221648.jpg

2. Member
    hole up cd , you need to disassemble w/p and replace seal carrier with this 840836a2 gonna do it agin guarantee this carrier bolts in and will not push out , over filling gear case can result in your carrier pushing out or just pressure in gearcase from high mounted engines , be sure you have RIGHT amount of gear oil in unit/ not running out of vent hole
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Scraps
    I think both times I did my water pump the gasket looked like that. Dunno why it couldn't be a better gasket.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Joe I started running Mercury racing gear oil and I haven’t had pressure issues since. I was told by Todd that those problems would stop with that oil and the billet parts in my case
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    billet will def cure it , disagree on oil change will eliminate pressure , ive seen hundreds of plates bent with H PERF oil pouring out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I think both times I did my water pump the gasket looked like that. Dunno why it couldn't be a better gasket.
    change housing ????? possibly over torque/ distorted agree it is pretty thin in my opinion

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    change housing ????? possibly over torque/ distorted agree it is pretty thin in my opinion
    Hope not on over torque, had a shop do it. This thread reminds me that I'm about due for a pump and this time I'll do it m'se'f and check it out.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

The lower unit oil is changed out every year and has never been overfilled, for sure. I always torque the pump bolts to 60 inch lbs. and I always replace the water pump every two years no matter what. The bolt-in carrier looks like a good idea. Don't think there's any holes for it now. Lower unit need to be drilled and tapped?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    hole up cd , you need to disassemble w/p and replace seal carrier with this 840836a2 gonna do it agin guarantee this carrier bolts in and will not push out , over filling gear case can result in your carrier pushing out or just pressure in gearcase from high mounted engines , be sure you have RIGHT amount of gear oil in unit/ not running out of vent hole
    ^^^^^ This.

High-Perf lube is awesome stuff- honestly the only thing we keep in bulk within the shop.

Gasket is fine, been using them for decades with very little problem. Improper torque, over-pressured gearcase lube from running it too high, leaks in seals, or even over-filled (note: You can over-fill simply by having trim at wrong position).

There is a service bulletin on this very thing and it recommends the seal that Joe mentioned (above). Gearcase will need to be drilled/tapped to accept the new style carrier, the instructions are included in the kit he mentioned.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor