Thread: Cedar Valley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cedar Valley

Still can't get bit on topwater....... Did manage 4 keepers, not lake keepers just ones over 15". Had a fifth on but it jumped off my crankbait. Managed to catch around 15 fish overall and the guy with me caught just one but it was 18" (2.98). Big fish of the day weighed 3.06 by the winner of our little BB pot. We got off the water at 12:30pm and it was just getting hot at that time.

2. Member
    Joel was there very much grass in the lake. That is where I'm doing good top water. Otherwise it's jigs and wacky rigs.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

No, there isn't any grass in the lake. It is all rocks and a little timber in the upper end.

4. Member
    It was tough fishing over the weekend. I managed a couple smallies on a buzzbait, but normally I can catch a limit first thing in the morning. I had to downsize and really work for them, but managed a pretty nice largemouth. I think the full moon had it all jacked up.

5. Member
    The only way I have been able to get a topwater bite this year is a buzz bait over thick grass. I cannot even really get a good frog bite going on the grass even though the bullfrogs are giving me a concert.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

6. Member
    I fished Pomona for about 6 hours on Saturday from 10am-4pm. I have never been on the lake before. Muddy water and a ton of boat traffic, finally found some water with 12" of visibility and a green tint to it and started getting bites, had two LM over 15" and about 6-8 short fish. Alot of good looking rock points and jetties but people were swimming on most of them!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro05 View Post
    I fished Pomona for about 6 hours on Saturday from 10am-4pm. I have never been on the lake before. Muddy water and a ton of boat traffic, finally found some water with 12" of visibility and a green tint to it and started getting bites, had two LM over 15" and about 6-8 short fish. Alot of good looking rock points and jetties but people were swimming on most of them!
    Ahhh...Labor Day can't come soon enough. After that, all the pleasure boaters, etc. are gone and it's just us fishermen!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    The only way I have been able to get a topwater bite this year is a buzz bait over thick grass. I cannot even really get a good frog bite going on the grass even though the bullfrogs are giving me a concert.
    That's strange. Topwater is usually fairly consistent this time of year. I still think the lunar cycle has an effect.

9. Member
    I love a bass fishing/catching thread-a rarity for Kansas.
    I grew up in Maize/Wichita till 1974 and left for Texas.
    I fished sand pits/Cheney/a few other reservoirs.
    Sand pits were best.
    I loved them. We would go to our morning football workout and then to the sandpit to waterski and swim and then back to the afternoon football practice during 2 a days. We were tougher than I thought. It just seemed fun and natural at the time.
    I loved Wilson as I caught a crappie, a white bass and a black bass on my first three casts from a dock on that lake. Wow! Too bad it was 3 hours from home. Dad and I always went to Bull Shoals and Table Rock and the White River until 1970.
    Then we went to Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn.
    I was one lucky kid.
    I loved my Dad. He was a great outdoorsman, a great bass fisherman, a great bird hunter and great deer/elk hunter, and great father.
    He was a Kansas State Trap Champion in 1966 shooting 100 out of 100 in the open championship.
    He had a three time Grand National Champion Field Trial Brittany Spaniel-Towsey in 1955/1957/1959. No other dog has won more than once before or since. Best Field Trial Dog Ever.
    I wish I was as good as he was in all those things.
    I will keep trying.
    And I will try to pass it on to my grandchildren who are his Great Grandchildren.

Bear, sounds like your dad was the kind of father we all strive to be.

Was at Sam Rayburn earlier this year. Caught a lot of fish but none were any bigger then what I could have caught 7 miles from my house.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    I love a bass fishing/catching thread-a rarity for Kansas.
    I grew up in Maize/Wichita till 1974 and left for Texas.
    I fished sand pits/Cheney/a few other reservoirs.
    Sand pits were best.
    I loved them. We would go to our morning football workout and then to the sandpit to waterski and swim and then back to the afternoon football practice during 2 a days. We were tougher than I thought. It just seemed fun and natural at the time.
    I loved Wilson as I caught a crappie, a white bass and a black bass on my first three casts from a dock on that lake. Wow! Too bad it was 3 hours from home. Dad and I always went to Bull Shoals and Table Rock and the White River until 1970.
    Then we went to Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn.
    I was one lucky kid.
    I loved my Dad. He was a great outdoorsman, a great bass fisherman, a great bird hunter and great deer/elk hunter, and great father.
    He was a Kansas State Trap Champion in 1966 shooting 100 out of 100 in the open championship.
    He had a three time Grand National Champion Field Trial Brittany Spaniel-Towsey in 1955/1957/1959. No other dog has won more than once before or since. Best Field Trial Dog Ever.
    I wish I was as good as he was in all those things.
    I will keep trying.
    And I will try to pass it on to my grandchildren who are his Great Grandchildren.
    Cool story. I always wondered what Wilson was like back in the day. It's still a great place to fish, one of the best in the state year in and year out, but it is getting an enormous amount of pressure right now.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Bear, sounds like your dad was the kind of father we all strive to be.

Was at Sam Rayburn earlier this year. Caught a lot of fish but none were any bigger then what I could have caught 7 miles from my house.
    If you want big, I think I would try Fork. I started fishing it last year and it helped make me move back to Texas. Our Thursday Club usually has 7's regularly and 8's occasionally, but always multiple 4s, 5s and 6s each session. But I am looking forward to hitting all the other lakes too! My grandson just joined the HS fishing team and I agreed to captain a boat for him and a new friend. Lakes are: Towakanie, Palestine, Bob Sandlin, Cedar Creek and Lake of the Pines. Not a bad lineup for eTex which will help us learn something together. Those will all be new water for both of us. I will put him in charge and see how he does on finding fish. it will be fun.

13. Member
    Just got off the lake it was warm but not hot-85* no wind, and Joel I spent most of the morning on grass throwing buzz baits and spinners all top water, could not buy a bite. Switched to a wacky rigged senko and caught 3 dinks. Called it a day.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Quote Originally Posted by wgammill View Post
    Just got off the lake it was warm but not hot-85* no wind, and Joel I spent most of the morning on grass throwing buzz baits and spinners all top water, could not buy a bite. Switched to a wacky rigged senko and caught 3 dinks. Called it a day.
    Crap, sounds like you caught my jinx

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    If you want big, I think I would try Fork. I started fishing it last year and it helped make me move back to Texas. Our Thursday Club usually has 7's regularly and 8's occasionally, but always multiple 4s, 5s and 6s each session. But I am looking forward to hitting all the other lakes too! My grandson just joined the HS fishing team and I agreed to captain a boat for him and a new friend. Lakes are: Towakanie, Palestine, Bob Sandlin, Cedar Creek and Lake of the Pines. Not a bad lineup for eTex which will help us learn something together. Those will all be new water for both of us. I will put him in charge and see how he does on finding fish. it will be fun.
    Fished Fork quite a few years ago. It was right after they had the LBV and a cold front hi the day we got there. Only managed to catch one 7# bowfin in the 4 days of fishing.

Great job in stepping up to be a boat captain. Yes, it does suck to sit and watch, but it can be very entertaining too.

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro05 View Post
    Put in up the dragoon. Fish the river. 110 mile creek also. Go up the creek itself.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    Put in up the dragoon. Fish the river. 110 mile creek also. Go up the creek itself.
    Always wondered if that creek was any good.

Thought I was going to get on a topwater bite last evening. Started to throw a spook at dusk and had one the third cast. Was the only one that bit until it was too dark to see and I quit.

18. Member
    Anyone ever have issues with the north ramp at this lake?
    I took my son out for about an hour yesterday, backed the trailer down the ramp to pick the boat up.
    I have to make sure I back it in with water above the fenders to get the bunks fully wet, and then I pull up a little until the fenders are about 4” out of the water to load.
    When I went to pull back up the trailer was stuck, and I mean solid. I had to put the truck in 4x4 low, let it roll back a few inches and then hammer the throttle. It finally popped loose on my 3rd attempt. I was dead center on the ramp and not crooked at all.
    my boat is only a 17ft So I’m guessing any larger bass boat would have been worse off than me!

Sounds like you fell off the end of the ramp. Everything around is low and I imagine this lake is no different. I have only had that happen one time at Bourbon County Lake.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Sounds like you fell off the end of the ramp. Everything around is low and I imagine this lake is no different. I have only had that happen one time at Bourbon County Lake.
    I’m guessing that’s what happened, Guess I’ll wait for more rain next time! Scary situation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast