Mega Live ongoing saga.

I had a meltdown on here a couple weeks ago about the ML update and it being virtually unusable due to interference that was not there prior to the update. Yes, I downloaded in the correct sequence and followed the instructions to a T. At first it was just the interference that was issue. Then the dreaded freezing came back. Past two weekends had back to back derbies so didn’t have the time or patience to mess with it and just unplugged it and ran 360. I’m running all helix’s, 12 mdi g4 & 12 msi g3 (bow) 9msi g3 & 9 mdi g3 console, ml, m360 & Ethernet hub.
    Today I finally had time to mess with it. We’ll, I figured something out but I don’t know what to make of it? The 12g3 will run the ML flawlessly if the 12g4 is not powered on? If both are powered on, the g4 will freeze on the ml screen and cause interference or cross talk? on the g3 ml screen. My assumption is there is something corrupt in the g4 update? The good news is I can use my ML again. Bad news is I have a useless helix 12. Suggestions?
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

2. Member
    May I suggest adding another ethernet hub, if you haven't already. That will definitely stop the freezing..

3. Member
    After the update I was also having very bad rings/pulses or whatever you want to call it on my Mega Live. My setup is 3 Helix 12 G4N's, 2 at the bow one at the helm. Two Ethernet hubs (I added the 2nd one before the update), Mega 360 and Ultrex with built in MDI transducer. I have my Mega Live and Mega 360 control head on one Ethernet hub and the other two control heads and Ultrex on the other with a cable in port 5 on both to link them together. This is what I've done to fix the issue and I can't honestly say which of the many changes I've made did it. Note, I also have an open issue with HB support that has gone no where in over a month on this issue. First, I never had my Helix or Mega Live freeze after I added the Mega Live, added the 2nd Ethernet hub or put on any updates to the Mega Live or Helix units. My steps to try and fix this problem or at least a work around since I consider this a HB problem that they need to address. First, I added a dedicated small Lithium batter to power just my Mega Live and Mega 360. I then bought the Mega 360 Y cable and combined my Ultrex MDI transducer and Mega 360 transducer and connected the Y cable to my Mega 360 control head. Now my Helix 12 at the bow only has the power and Ethernet cable. The draw back to the Y cable is now I can't stop the sonar on the Mega 360 control head or I loose both Mega 360 and 2D sonar. On my Mega Live control head I split the view with Mega Live and 2D with the 2D sharing the from the other Helix 12. My Mega 360 is running a split view with map and Mega 360. After making the changes the rings/pulses aren't nearly as bad but they are still there and I can live with it for now. I really believe this whole issue with freezing and pulses/rings is a design issue with the network and Ethernet hub. There is too much data being pushed through the network and units and the network and units can't handle this and strange issues happen. I found also found that the way you power up all the units and accessories make a difference on how things work. You have to play around to find the right sequence for you and once you find it almost always things work correctly. For me my power up sequence is as follows. In the parking lot I first power up my Helix unit that will run my Mega 360 and wait for it to get to the menu view. I then power up my Helix running the Mega Live and also wait for the menu. I then go to the helm and turn on the power to the rest of the boat and my Helix unit there. Before I launch the boat I turn on the battery to my Mega 360 and Live units. Once I get to my first fishing location I then get the Mega 360 control head going and then get the Mega Live control head going. For me the key is to get the Mega 360 all the way initialized before using the Mega Live or I get real bad rings/pulses. Again, it's a PIA to have to buy extra batteries, Ethernet Hubs, Y cables and go through every setting known to man to get this stuff working but we've added a lot of technology in a short period of time and HB needs to get the backbone caught up. Hopefully my long post will help you and some others with similar issues.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    Yeah you guys lost me at adding a hub. I refuse to give HB any money for creating a problem which didn’t exist before the update. What baffles me is why it runs on the g3 but freezes on the g4? And running both causes the interference?
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

I haven’t done the update yet and kinda glad now
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

6. Member
    I am also waiting.

7. Member
    By all means, don’t!
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    When I add Helix 12 G4N to the mix, I dont get freezing or bad interference but I do get constant "source not found" messages that makes it all unusable. I'm getting a replacement 12 and we'll see if its the unit or a software issue.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    My “interference” or whatever it is, is weird. It looks like a sea wall or heavy weeds at 30’ away, no matter how deep I am or the range I set. Turn off the g4 and it disappears! None of the other units cause the problem so I assume it’s the g4 that is my problem.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

I don’t have Helix but have you tried filters and noise rejection on the G4?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I don’t have Helix but have you tried filters and noise rejection on the G4?
    Tried all of them, no difference.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

12. Member
    I'm going to guess the G4 unit is running the Mega 360. If you just turn off the ping to the Mega 360 does it clear up?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I'm going to guess the G4 unit is running the Mega 360. If you just turn off the ping to the Mega 360 does it clear up?
    Nope, g3 is running 360 and I tried turning the pinging off with no change. Gonna try switching the plugs and putting the 360 on the g4. If that fails gonna unhook the g4 from the Ethernet hub. If that fails, well hell!?
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

14. Member
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! All I did was switch the pugs on my 2 12s up front. 360 to the g4 and the DI to the g3. No interference, no locking up for a 8 hour tournament. I honestly don’t get it but maybe this will help someone else having the same problem?
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move